weird issue with XP pro

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by IDLE, Feb 1, 2005.

1. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

when ever i drag and drop a file, no matter the extenson, the pc seems to lock up or pause. doesnt matter if im doing this to a different partition or with in the a partition. only way for me to move a file is to copy it then go to the folder and select paste. any ideas?

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

not sure about that... i've always used right-click->copy/move. :p

3. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

also seems to take forever to delete. if you hightlight and hit the delete key. takes like 30sec to ask if i want to delete it.

4. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Run an SFC /scannow on your Windows install. See if it finds/fixes anything. I've seen this before, trying to dig up the solution.

Also check in taskmanager to see if there are any unusual processes spiking when you do a drag and drop, or shift/delete - if the process is explorer.exe that maxes out the CPU usage - the SFC may fix it.

Have you defragged lately? With a third party defrag like Diskeeper?

5. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

SFC? ive done a defrag and a anit-virus and spyware scans. found nothing.

6. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Are you drag/dropping from two different hard drives? Or is it the same drive. I agree with Mastershakes, try defraging and doing a disk clean up. Do you do any spyware scans? Anti-virus running?

EDIT: Whoops you posted before I could :p

7. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

SFC = System File Checker. - whenever these really basic Windows functions go wonky on me - I run it. It's part of Windows, what it does I believe is a checksum on all the Windows System Files. If it finds some that have been modified, it will restore the default from the I386 folder, or prompt you to put in your Windows CD

Run that business, let us know what goes down.

8. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

i did a drag and drop to a folder on the same partition (text document) the explorer and cpu percentage did not change. its like it gets stuck for 30 seconds. this happnes with deleting a file as well.

9. zeke_mo

Download This and run it, if you can upload a screenshot, or just post all the results

10. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

i had this very same problem, but with windows 98, even after i formatted and reinstalled it was still the same after about 2-3 days. For me i found out it was the HD. and it sounds like that could be the culprit as well.

11. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Are you on SP2 IDLE?
    Also, what is your video rig?

That tool looks real neat Zeke.

12. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

ive got 98oo pro 256mb catalyst 4.12

Attached Files:

• HD.JPG
      HD.JPG
      File size:
      77.7 KB
      Views:
  13. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

what he said - HDtach is teh businesss IF it is the drive.... sounds to me like it could be a spin up problem, but also software related.... what happens when you open a file like an MP3 with a player? Any lag there? If it is the HD there should be lag in these sorts of areas too....

[EDIT] seen pic now - your drive is not the fastest but it looks unlikely that is the issue to me.... is it nearing 100% or in fact anywhere above 75% full? Are the files large? and there was something else - but I forgot it while typing! Doh! [/EDIT]

14. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

opening up files i have no problem with.just moving or deleting them. im freakin lost with this. lol. i dont have any trouble playing any games what so ever.

15. zeke_mo

The screen shows 19.9 MB/s Sounds like you need a new hard drive :p

16. tzepp@cox.net

tzepp@cox.net high

I have that problem too. Found that if I turn my anti-virus off I can drag/drop and delete with no problem

17. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

tzepp - good point.

IDLE try disabling real time protection for your anti-v and see if it changes anything.
    It's looking more and more like an HD problem. Nice work fellas.

18. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

i would run msconfig and disable most of your start up items, and none windows services. if it works fast after that then its time to re-enable everything 1 by 1 untill the problem returns. then you will know what is causing it if its software related.

19. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

found this in the event viewer

im screwed.

Attached Files:

20. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

time to backup b4 it blows :(