Weird Boot Problem??!! P L E A S E H E L P!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ed2k, Apr 18, 2002.

1. ed2k

ed2k Guest

Hello I was playing with my windows xp services a few weeks ago and my computer started fast and worked fine. Now all of a sudden it still boots quick (just half a turn when booting) but when i get to the login screen it stalles there for about 40 seconds doing nothing and then shows me my desktop? How can I fix this?

Before I had this problem, I would see the login screen for a few seconds and then see my desktop. Please Help.

2. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

make sure you've run Bootvis, and use msconfig to see what programs and services you are loading in the background.

3. ed2k

ed2k Guest

Bootvis shows that Login+Services takes 45 seconds. Thats where the problem is. When I use bootvis to optimize, I get a timeout.

4. Static 99

Static 99 Guest

Found this info at: http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#COM+ System Application

COM+ Event System ~ You will receive, in the Event Log, a entry from "DCOM" complaining about not having this service running if Disabled. I am unaware of any application that uses COM+, but if set to Manual, many services report to it, so it will start anyway. Required for System Event Notification. For the fun of it, head to
    "C:\Program Files\ComPlus Applications" on your system and see if any "COM+" Applications are installed. If not, you can probably disable this service with no side effects (besides the Event Log complaining upon reboots.) Take note: BootVis Requires Task Scheduler and COM+ Event System to be running if you wish to take advantage of the "optimize system" function. Why? It is due to the pre-fetching function built into WinXP. Another Note: Pre-fetching only occurs on boot up, so if you do not care about a few extra seconds of boot time, do not even bother with it and disable Task Scheduler. BV Recommends: Disabled for super tweaking, Automatic for "safe" configurations.
    Dependencies: Remote Procedure Call (RPC)