website failure time

I haven't done anything because noone has shown me, yes I know I have to set the MTU on the computer to the same as the router....Noone has told me how to change that on the computer, I looked in Network Connections and such, can't find anything....

Ok everyone just take a deep breath ....... there now let's review:

BMan: Mainframeguy posted a utility that allows you to change the MTU on a selected Network Card. After you run the program and agree to the terms you are presented with a list of your network devices. Locate your network card that is connected to your router and click edit, now enter the desired MTU value. If you have wifi as well may as well do it for the other one. Click Ok then next and reboot when it recommends it.

Now if you went through this then it is quite possibly that the problem lies somewhere else. As I have mentioed on MSN, while trying to track down a MSN problem of mine I decided to test an old Linksys router I had lying around and this router wasn't up to par. I noticed quite a speed drop and such which I think it linked to it's age.

Now what you could do, is purchase a router, try it out for a few days and if the problem persists then simply return it for a refund.

Mainframeguy: From your posts it sounds as if you are getting fustrated and I can sort of see why as I am having an issue on another forum where Im asking something but instead I'm getting the work around. Bman has mentioned to me via MSN, he is new to networking so we need to be patient and more undersanding.

Now from what I gather, turning the firewall off in the router seems to help fix the problem. Since this may be the case it could indicate that the firewall in the router is either malfunctioning or not up to speed. With my linux router box I had the issue of when using a Intrustion Detection service it will block some site's IP for reasons unknown, once I unblock it the site loads.

So there can be two options here:
1. Buy a new router and test it out to determine if it is indeed the router or
2. Just disable the router's firewall and install a software based firewall like Zone Alarm on EACH computer on the network since they all may be open.

Micheal, when I said to disable the firewall and that he'd never need one I meant it. No firewalls, anywhere, period.

Set the MTU and see if tha t cures it - it may not but its worth a shot. I dont want anything else happeneing until thats tried please :)

I did go through the process of that program, maybe I didn't do it right but it didn't work. I'm going with, keeping Router Firewall off, and installing a software firewall for now. Soon, I'll be on my own network with a new ISP and router, so for now it works!

Thanks alot everyone!

No Software Firewall!!! <-- pretend thats all caps :D

I'm about ready to come over there and nail a sign on your forehead that says that in big red letters :p

I have never used them, thought there just annoying and get in the way, but thought I would because of the whole router thing.....Why should I not use one?

all firewalls and packet filters do is to stop traffic your machine would ignore anyway - the vulnerabilities on workstations and servers come from ports that you need to have open for whatever reason. Unused ports are just that - unused, and are completely safe.

Its somewhat akin to having call screening on a phone you never answer... whats the point of screening the calls if you always ignore the phone?

If MTU hasnt fixed your connection you'll have to get into some diagnostics.

When you next see something going slow, traceroute the following urls and post the results here:

www.ebay.com
www.amazon.com
www.coreix.net
and the site that is going slow for you.

Post those and I'll be able to help further.

hey look - it's almost like Lord v2! ;) (in IRC joke)

Bman - I hope you are appreciating the TLC - given how evil I know Lord can be - I am just about to give him rep if this concludes well.... and that is a RARE thing!

Yea, Thanks for all the help, to everyone, even lord lol

I learned some new things, and some what fixed my problem

Thanks

some what? If this works it should 100% fix the problem! But sounds like you now learnt what an MTU is and, maybe even, why an ISP pinches a bit of it sometimes, requiring you to lower the setting....

Did you read my other posts, I used that program, didn't work. I have a solution for now, that's why I said somewhat.

I don't know why it didn't work, old computer, old router. Who knows. My internet is working fine now, so it's all good.

Thanks again.

I read ever single post on here at least once... still none the wiser as to if your problem is entirely fixed or what steps you took to get to wherever you have (or have not) got in fixing it... :dead:

- ran program, didn't work

- I know my things (router) and such are old

- keeping firewall off

- untill I have new computer & ISP etc

so you are saying it is your firewall? that dropping that resolved ALL your problems?

Or you are saying that you are living with the problem until you change your router, PC, and ISP?

Because if it is the latter I have to warn you you could do all that and still have the MTU problem. I know if I did that I would feel well pissed (as you say over the pond ;) ) ... then again if you are looking for a reason (excuse) to change all those then whatever floats your boat

I know I may sound confusing but....dropping the firewall does fix the problem. I know it could still be the MTU problem but I don't care. If I want to or not, I'm updating my ISP and router eventually, so leaving the firewall off and not doing much else for now seems to work.

I know, if I get all kinds of new stuff, if it happens again I know how to fix it. Or at least where to come lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back