Web slowing?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dave holbon, Mar 26, 2003.

1. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

Is it me or is the entire web getting slower and slower. Some sites are now so hard to connect to that I suspect that huge amounts of bandwidth are being stolen somehow. I have checked using various utilities and the entire web has slowed by about 20%.

Any ideas?

2. mbunny

mbunny Guest

the entire web's bandwidth can be checked by a utility on your PC?

I think not. It might be able to check ur bandwidth which can then be blamed on your ISP.

3. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

That's strange. I have a fast connection, and in recent times, I have noticed that speed for pages loading, and downloads has slowed down most everywhere but p2p.

Some things will not load at all, I've been having some trouble getting to certain pages. :huh:

4. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

I ain't noticed too much of a difference with my 576k ADSL!

5. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Dave, you still using Freeserve?

It appears that they've produced a load of new dial-in numbers from no-where, and a lot of people are reporting different results when using different numbers.
    They seem to be very area independant at the moment, for example the number I'm using at present does me fine, yet there are people further north who can't do anything when connected with it.
    Let me know if you need the full list of numbers (un-published by freeserve, eejits)

6. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

Yes I’m still using Freeserve and have a new connection number. Maybe your right. Send list please.

:happy:

7. SPeedY_B

PM sent :)

Have you been contacted by freeserve telling you to change your number at all?
    A lot of people have said that Freeserve have told them to download the new "Connection Kit".. which basically changes your DUN number if the connection fails (a feature already implemented into XP)
    I havent had anything from Freeserve yet, and im quite happy with the connection, although I did change number last month as the one i -was- using absolutely refused to load most pages.

8. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Run a tracert and see where it drops.

9. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

u got any numbers that'll make Aol work faster?:p

10. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Then why is my cable connection slow?

:p

Because I let Overnet use 1000+ sources and forgot to reset it to something less when I got home.

11. Mubbers

Mubbers Shoot! Political User

Generally Dave I'd agree with you. I've noticed all the things you mentioned in your original post.

However last night I got an amazing download connection for a UT map and got 2.65 Mb in about 35 seconds!

Transfer rate started at 130 KBps and never went below 45...

[Freeserve ADSL]

Mubbers

12. Mubbers

Do you think the war and preparations for it are taking up global Internet bandwidth?

Mubbers

13. Erbmaster

Erbmaster Moderator Folding Team

Reckon every web designer and his brother is trying to pack so much "broadband" content etc into pages now that were all on 56K due to excessive flash intros etc.....

You got a thing about the war in Iraq aint ya? :p

14. Mubbers

Well it's happening and no doubt a vast amount data is being transfered as part of the operation, so it seemed like a valid question.

Not political.

Mubbers

15. Erbmaster

Erbmaster Moderator Folding Team

Whoah! chill man......Only teasing ya :D:D :p

16. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Lets not forget the war that is going on. If you are trying to get to any site that hosts news then you are probably going to get a slow response.

17. SPeedY_B

Yes, try 0800 970 8890
    Its the request number for a freeserve CD, phone them, get signed up with a real isp! damnit!

Mubbers, did you know that Freeserve DSL is actually the slowest in the entire UK ?

18. Mubbers

ErbMaster - I know I lost the pills earlier but I found them now! :D

SpeedyB - ha! I had begun to suspect as much - what are the best alternatives...?

Mubbers

19. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

i want freeserve!!!!!

unfortunatly the bill payers (me parents) dont:huh:

20. SPeedY_B

Mubbers - Nildram ( http://www.getadsl.co.uk ) where found to be the fastaest in the UK. £22.99/mnth for there "lite" package, which is basically the same as the normal one but minus webspace/e-mail/static IP.. nothing is filtered, P2P etc still work.

Henyman - erm, aint Freeserve Cheaper than Gehy-o-Hell ?
    freeserve is currently £14.99 a month.