Web page going down

Discussion in 'Site Problems & Feedback' started by G-Money, Jul 24, 2002.

1. G-Money

G-Money Big Air

I was just wondering why the web page has been going as of late ???

Just a FYI ........ :D

2. been down now it just started working but home page has one article over and over and over

3. surge

surge OSNN Senior Addict

A lesson in security,
    never say in a IRC or other chat system that your upgradeing due to security problems, no wounder the sites been messing up.
    iam not picking on EP here, but giving away that kinda info is a bit silly, you dont tell every one in your town that you need new door locks because the ones you have at the moment can be pushed open now do you ? thats just asking for trouble.

4. cripster

cripster Guest

What server is the channel on for this site please, i've had a very hard day trying to work out why the site was down.

also the channel name please

5. theone1

theone1 Guest

EFnet-#xperience

6. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

So you are blaming the messenger for the problem this site was having?? EP was trying to fix the problems and relayed the info to the rest of us what was going on. You honestly believe some script kiddie didnt know of the security holes and that EP spilt the beans on it?? Oh please...

7. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

On the frontpage has been for months ...
    [EDIT] I apologise I was worng, I thought it was there but I dont see it... You could always use the chat room Jirc client [/EDIT]

8. surge

surge OSNN Senior Addict

No iam not blameing the messenger for the problem, its not EP's fault there as a bug in the PHP all iam saying is that he shouldent have described the problem in an open Chat room. and like the other guy said it was a Dumb move. how would you like it if your Bank or credit card company if you have anyof thease, wrote to the news papers and told every one on live TV that there servers were vunerable and that they needed patch a update?

9. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

i can see surge's point, but that would only apply if someone in the IRC chan was against the xp-erience site!

to be honest most kiddies/h4x0rs/whatever will keep up to date with the latest vuln's and exploits and as soon as they know of them they wana try em out, xp-erience is a big well known site, so some people view it as quite an acheivement knock it down for a few minutes or hours

10. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I think you have misunderstood me, I said it was initially under attack from that , but since then the server has been updated.

11. surge

surge OSNN Senior Addict

Ok EP sorry for the missunderstanding.

12. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

Dont jump on Catch23's bandwagon.. he hates everything and everyone and is a very bitter person. The php problem has been known for over a week. Speaking about it in an irc channel is not big deal. Everyone there supposedly knows each other and and it does not have the same impact as telling it thru a newspaper or on the national news. Not to kiss ass but I can never refer to EP as dumb or a person who makes dumb moves.
    BTW were you in the channel at the time it was said??

Dont get in a tizzy Catch23 you know how I feel about you anyway, you sweet angry little SOB :D

13. surge

surge OSNN Senior Addict

Right then [P§eüðøKe®] i was only replying to a thread and simply spoke my mind or Typed what i was thinking, I wasnt in the channel becasue i dont use IRC , havent done so for about a year now, so does that make me an outcast from ex-perience?
    and i can see that i have rattled your cage on the matter :D

14. Electronic Punk

Its cool ;)

waddy and Dan from UK Solutions are reviewing the logs etc. to try and figure out what happened.

Currently..the server load is stable at around 5% - with the same number of users on the site and forums last night - the server load was 75% which is wrong diddly wrong wrong wrong...

They will figure it out :)

15. Gnu

Gnu OSNN Addict

I'd be pretty cranky, too, if I had to put up with that monkey banging the cymbals all day.

16. Electronic Punk

17. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

Well thats'll learn to express an opinion.. :D And 'yes' you are an outcast but it has nothing to do with the fact you havent used IRC in such a long time :D

18. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

if you have mIRC AND have the irc:// links enabled :p :D :p

19. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

same to me ... [ ! ] :rolleyes: