Web Browser Issues

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Ferral_Imp, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Ferral_Imp

Ferral_Imp Moderator

Let Me First Appologize If This Message Appears In All Caps To Anyone Else But I Can"t Help That

My Web Browsers Are Acting All Funny And I Can"t Get Them To Act Normal Whenever I Try To Type Anything It"s All In Caps And I Can"t Get It Not To Do That Everytime I Click On A Link To Go To A New Webpage It Opens A New Window Like When I Navigated Here From My Bookmarks It Opened A Separate Window From My Homepage Then Opened Another Window When I Clicked To Go Into The Forums Then Another When I Clicked To Enter This Forum Area I Also Can"t Get Any Secure Website To Show Up For Me In Ie They Come Up As Page Not Available And In Firefox They Come Up As Connection Refused To Site>

I"ve Run Adaware Spybot Pest Patrol Bazooka Norton And Spysweeper With No Luck Of Fixing This I"m Bout Ready To Scream Cuz It"s Not Even Been A Month Since I Had To Reformat And This Happens

Thnx In Advance For Any Help

2. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

i think there's probably just something holding your shift key down...get a screwdriver and wiggle each shift key a bit.

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Either your shift key is physically stuck (or broken), or you may have activated sticky keys. Try tapping shift 5 times, you should hear a beep once it's deactivated (or activated if this isn't the problem, press shift another 5 times to turn it back off again)

4. Ferral_Imp

Ferral_Imp Moderator

Well ok seems like this thing is/was possessed again. I re-ran everything, restarted the computer, and then re-ran all the spy/adware scanners. Spybot keeps coming up with an entry for dso exploit even after I removed it and cleared it out of the recovery area. Other than that, everything is normal scanwise.

After the restart the all caps letters have stopped and both my browsers seem to have stopped opening a new window everytime I click to go to a different webpage. The only issue I still have is that I cann't go to any secure sites (hotmail, paypal, etc.). Whenever I try to go to a secure site, I either get "page not available" in IE, or I get "connection refused" in Firefox. And this isn't just one or two sites it's all secure sites that generate this response. :(

If it helps, my comp is a HP Pavilion ze4200. It's running win xp pro, it's current with it's updates, my browsers are internet explorer 6, and mozilla firefox.

5. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

1) run hijackthis and post the log
    2) run spybot in safe mode.

6. Ferral_Imp

Ferral_Imp Moderator

1) my highjack this log

2) I already run spybot in safe mode when I scan.

thnx again to everyone who's tried to help.

7. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

Give this spyware XoftSpy a scan on your system and see if it catches anything!

8. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

You don't happen to be running Norton Internet Security? I think sometimes one of the settings can block secure websites.

9. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

I don't see your thread in uppercase :?

10. rushm001

The forum automatically removes any multiple capital letters.

11. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Really? Ok Did Not Know That, Call 'd' For Dunce.

12. Ferral_Imp

Ferral_Imp Moderator

Downloading the file now. I'll post the results after I get done a scan in a lil while.

Yeah. I'm using NIS 2004. How would I find out if norton is the reason why I can't get to secure sites? Is there a way to fix it if it is causing the problem or am I up the proverbial creek?

well that's a useful bit of info to know for future hauntings.

13. Ferral_Imp

Ferral_Imp Moderator

Xsoftspy found a bunch of stuff.

Internet Alert{2 entries}
    Bonzi Buddy {7 entries}
    CoolwebSearch{1 entries}
    CWS.0slogo {1 entries}
    Winpup32 {2 enrties}
    Marketscore(Netsetter) {1 entry}

14. rushm001

You should be able to see if it has by viewing the logs that NIS generates. In NIS 2003 you click on the statistics tab at the side, and then click on the view logs button. I'm sure 2004 should be similar.

15. Ferral_Imp

Ferral_Imp Moderator

Yay. I can finally check my email!!!! :) mucho thnx again to everyone for the help.

16. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

I would not recommend XoftSpy, they use false positives in order to get you to buy it.

17. Salinske

Salinske OSNN One Post Wonder

I'm sorry to bring back an old thread but I'm trying to research a problem that is similar to this one. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Ferral_Imp, did disabling a function in NIS fix the "connection refused" error or was it the XoftSpy scan that fixed it?

My father in law is getting the same error when trying to get to his secure sites. I did some work on his computer about a week ago and got rid of some spyware he had on there and now when he tries to get to any secure site he gets the message "connection refused"

Thanks again for any help anyone can provide.