We can rebuild.........?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tibboh, Dec 23, 2002.

1. tibboh

tibboh Arte et Marte

The old P111 is getting a bit long in the tooth, so i fancy upgrading but am interested in building a decent machine (P4) rather than buy complete assembly and would be MOST gratefull to anyone who is in the process of building (or have built) a new beastie.

Rather than waste time & effort (and dosh) if u could list all recommended items (UK specs) to totally complete a rebuild within a tower system I can then do some pricing to see if viable

Many thanks in anticipation

2. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

First of all unless you like wasting money, don't buy a P4, AMD is just a good if not better.

I like MSI Motherboards, and Vid Cards, so my list would be somethign like this, however, before everybody starts screaming this is my opinion.

1. MSI K7N2-L SKT A nForce2, AT133, NIC, AGP8X, 1 Firewire, 6 Soundcard, USB2.0, 3 DDR, 5 PCI

2. AMD Athlon XP 2200+

3. DDR 512MB 333MHz - PC2700

4. 80GB WD - 7200 RPM - ATA100

5. MSI Geforce4 TI4200-8X 128MB

6. Creative Lab Audigy2 Platinum

that should get u started

[​IMG]

3. Iceman

Do you have an idea of what 3Dmark score such a config would get us ???

(I'm looking to upgrade my PIII too, I'm thorn between a P4 2.4 and an XP 2200+, I've been using Intel for 15 years+ so I'm hesitant to switch..... but Intel is so much more expensive)

4. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

STOCK with no oc'ing you will probably be looking at around 10500/11000 3dmarks...

with ocing and what not you will see a higher score :)

dependin on what you use your pc for... the 2200+ is faster than the 2.4 or the 2.4 is faster than the 2200+

I use both @ work and all the office apps we use the 2200+ is faster than the 2.4ghz p4... very noticeably...

in other benches you will see a differnet story.. it is a nice solution though you can't really go wrong with either...

5. tibboh

tibboh Arte et Marte

Many thanks for ur info, iceman - i will look seriously at the AMD as advised (always one for saving money <scottish blood>).

regards

tibboh

6. zoey

zoey Guest

Here is my set up. If I OC the card to 300/600 I get 10990
    No OC ing the card I get 10300. Still trying to find the right driver combo.

7. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

so if world_traveler gets what I said he should have even a faster score

1. its a AMD

2. faster Ram pc2700 vs. pc2100

3. Video card I told him is 8x

score

[​IMG]

8. tibboh

tibboh Arte et Marte

thanks for that zoey - every little bit helps, its got to be more fun than buying a "package" from the local PC World.

tibboh

9. I was told between 8000 to 9000 by the rep of the local computer shop. Maybe he was conservative so I wouldn't come back with the system if I didn't get 10000.....

I might settle for a 2100+, for some odd reason they are 25% cheaper than the 2200+ here..... I wonder why.

10. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

well I wouldn't rely on a rep in the local computer store, for one thing usually they don't know wtf they are talking about.

25% less for a 2100+ i would do that

[​IMG]

11. Yes Iceman, that's what I think I'll do.

170$ versus 280$ (canadian dollars). (over 25% in fact).

anyway the speed difference between my P3-500 and the 2100+ should keep satisfied for a couple of months :p

So:

XP2100+
    Gigabyte GA-7VAX
    512 DDR333
    MSI GF4 4200 128Meg DDR....
    etc

That config should allow me to play the next Simcity, no ???
    :blink: