Way to run more hard drives and cdrom drives?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by psx2000, Sep 30, 2002.

1. psx2000

psx2000 Guest

What is a good card to buy if i want to add on more hard drives?

Currently im running 2 hard drives on my computer but I want to run 2 more 180 gig hard drives and was curious if I could buy a ultra card to hold more devices?

Also would the ultra card hold cd rom drives and other ide devices?

Are there any drawbacks to using a ultra card?
  2. paul_43

paul_43 Guest

those card I belive can only hold 2 ide devices... and it would be any ide devices like cd rom or harddisks.... if you want to put more ide things in ... you need more cards..
  3. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

IDE PCI controller card
    Promise TX2 Ultra ATA133 x4 channel IDE Controller PCI £34.08

4. Doctor Who

Doctor Who Guest

Those PCI cards will take 4 devies easy, they have 2 IDE channels capable of running drives in master/slave/cable select mode, oe of my friemds is using one.

Short of that buy yourself a mobo with a RAID controller and use the RAID controller to just add extra drives to.
  5. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Between Austin and Tampa
    most mobo's come with 2 ide channels capable of holding 4 devices being either hdd's or atapi devices...

RAID cards can add more hdd;s to your rig... but remember... they only add hdd's nothing else... remember that...

many are on the market and don't cost much at all..
  6. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

Sacramento, CA
    pci raid controllers have 2 or 4 channels and can support 2 to 8 harddrives, depending on which one you get. i wouldn't hook anything but harddrives up to them, though.

i don't see any drawbacks to using one of these cards.
  7. promise is the best place, ata100 and ata133 cards can be had cheap on ebay even