wav.files...how can I make them smaller???

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by FrenchBerliner, Feb 8, 2003.

1. I intend to add noises to my web page ...WWW.FRENCHBERLINER.COM...but the wav.files I wanna use are 8 seconds long wich means almost 1MB...That's pretty long to download!! Anyone knows a good software to reduce their size...(Like I could reduce a jpg.file actually!)

Thanx

2. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

the only way to shrink the size is to make them with a less quality.

3. Luna64

Luna64 Guest

You could always use mp3 ......

4. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

you can convert it into .MID small with "NOT BAD QUALITY" :)

5. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Go with mp3.

6. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

7. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

MP3, Windows Media Audio, Real Audio, Liquid Audio... you have quite a few choices and many of these can be done for free. You do have to use some format to compress the file though, or else your stuck with a crappy midi or huge wav.

8. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

any easy way to compress a .wav is to open it with windows sound recorder / file /properties/ convert choose the level of compression telephone is rather small and convert then save as ..the sound is not bad at all ....

9. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

If you are going to embed sound onto your site the best way is to do it like Kermit said. If it's only a background noise/sound, if it's more musical then up the quality one up from *telephone*. But it all depends on what the file size becomes after the conversion and what the sound is. Do a few test runs but make copies of the sound file first so if the quality is not what you want you still have the original. Or when you convert save it as another file name.

But if it's only 8 seconds, *telephone* is fine.

10. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

funnily enough WAV files have certain compresson rates that can be selected PCM is the no compression the u can get U-Law and quite a few others they mean nothing to me but i know they can cut the files size by half:rolleyes: