[WARNING] "Security Update for Flash Player" Not Necessarily Needed!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by madmatt, May 9, 2006.

1. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

As some of you must know: Today is Patch Tuesday.

Warning! You may not need "Security Update for Flash Player (KB913433)". Microsoft Update may deliver this update regardless of what version of Flash you are running. It only applies for Macromedia/Adobe Flash Player version 6 or earlier.

More information: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS06-020.mspx

Latest version of Flash can be downloaded at: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

If you attempt to install this update you will receive a failure notice. The failure is caused if you are running a newer version of Flash Player.

More specifically: "The version of Macromedia Flash you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install."

Last edited: May 9, 2006
    damnyank likes this.
  2. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

TYVM madmatt - rep given - I was not presented with this update - but others have been - I was wondering what was coming off! Still curious why someone with 8.0.24.0 was given this update as an option?? Any ideas?

3. madmatt

damnyank, on my desktop computer at work the MU site said I needed the update. Upon download and install it failed. I downloaded the update and installed it manually only to see the error above.

Here at home I was not asked to download and install it. So it may have been one of those rare circumstances where things don't work correctly.

The funny thing is that I checked for updates at work around 3:30 PM/ET (WSUS and MU) and my home desktop checked for updates at the same time. So time isn't an issue (was thinking maybe they resolved the issue).

I set the update to "Detect Only" on my WSUS server and will await to see those results.

I will keep everyone posted.

4. damnyank

TYVM for the update madmatt - I passed on your link for technet - but have not heard any feedback from anyone! :suprised:

5. damnyank

6. madmatt

Thank you for the information. I declined the update on WSUS because it still wants to push it out to several workstations that have Flash Player v8 installed.

One machine affected is brand new and has never even had v7 installed (just v8).

7. madmatt

Microsoft has issued a revision (105) for this update. The updated revision appears to correct all issues with the patch (at least in my case).

8. damnyank

Thanks for the info - glad you got it sorted!