DeeBeeS

OSNN Addict
On checking the event viewer-applications I got this warning:

Windows Operating System
ID: 63
Source: WinMgmt
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: WBEM_MC_PROVIDER_SUBSYSTEM_LOCALSYSTEM_PROVIDER_LOAD
Message: A provider, %1, has been registered in the WMI namespace, %2, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

Explanation
The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) provider subsystem runs individual providers within specific COM servers based on their required security level. Only administrators are allowed to register providers and configure their required security level, and only trusted providers should be configured to use LocalSystem. This warning message is an audit record indicating that the provider is running with the privileges of the LocalSystem

Can someone please tell me what this is and how I should correct this. Thanks very much in advance.

David

Technically this is only a warning, so it's not a huge issue. Is this occuring on a Domain Controller, workstation, can I have more info?

Chief, as usual, is correct. This is a warning that can be safely ignored. Usually seen right after you install new software (such as Office).

Thanks fellas for your quick response. I have been having trouble lately with IE and OE - system hang ups. I tried various things I got from forums but there was no difference. What my problem was that I would log on to OE check emails then close OE and click on the IE icon and nothing happened, in fact nothing would happen if I clicked on any icon. Then suddenly about 5 minutes later every icon I pressed would open all at the same time.

In view of this I decided to re-install SP2 which I did and it was after that that I got the message in the event viewer. I am glad it is nothing serious.

Anyway the initial problem I had is still there but it is now intermittent so I still haven't found the answer. Thanks once again for your help.

David

You might consider a re-install of Windows. If not to fix your problem, because you un-installed and then re-installed SP2, your registry is probably a mess. This will cause you problems in the longrun, if it hasn't already.

Ok kcnychief thanks for the info. Now perhaps I could ask for your help. First of all if I reformat I have the original XP disk which I will have to use first and then use the SP2 disk I got from microsoft OK. I have a lot of emails stored in folders on OE and of course the address book. I believe there is a way to copy these emails to another folder but I have no idea how this is done. Most of the installed programmes I have copied onto a CDRom so there would not be any problems there. Perhaps you can advise. Thanks once again.

David

DeeBeeS said:
Ok kcnychief thanks for the info. Now perhaps I could ask for your help. First of all if I reformat I have the original XP disk which I will have to use first and then use the SP2 disk I got from microsoft OK. I have a lot of emails stored in folders on OE and of course the address book. I believe there is a way to copy these emails to another folder but I have no idea how this is done. Most of the installed programmes I have copied onto a CDRom so there would not be any problems there. Perhaps you can advise. Thanks once again.

David

In regards to OE, this should do the trick..

http://email.about.com/cs/oetipstricks/qt/et102502.htm

Wow that was quick, I have had a look and this as you say will do the trick. My repeated thanks.

Dave

DeeBeeS said:
Wow that was quick, I have had a look and this as you say will do the trick. My repeated thanks.

Dave

No problem :)

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/39623/39623.html

"Although this warning sounds serious, it's an informational message letting you know that WMI has received a registration for a new provider that will run with elevated privileges (SYSTEM). If you're satisfied that this component can run safely with these privileges, you can ignore this message. Otherwise, you might want to uninstall the provider component or contact the provider's manufacturer."

Now, just looking at your issue.... IE and OE freezing.... and something attempting (and maybe succeeding) to run itself with elevated privledges.....

Smells of spyware/adware/malware

Have you scanned lately? Spybot, Adaware, Hijack This, Microsoft Anti-spyware will assist you.

Yes I did all the checks, no problem found. I did a reformat and was able to get rid of a load of rubbish and things are sweet. The info of backing up email's worked fine, but I forgot to do the address list. Thanks everyone for your help.

David

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back