[Wanted] Dedicated Server Host

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
I am in the market for a dedicated server to start hosting my business. I have gone with shared hosting before, but as my needs are growing I need to upgrade. I am looking long and hard at 1and1 because they are awesome and their packages seem cost effective. I have also reviewed all their online F.A.Q.'s, which are extensive and easy to follow. Some of the stuff would be my first time doing it, so that is key.

Here's the link to 1and1...

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Se...731DF372650BB7.TC61a?__frame=_top&__lf=Static

Now, if I want to waive the $99 setup fee, I need to commit for $24 months. That's $119x24 at least (if that's the package I get), which is a little over $2,800 in the long run.

Obviously, it may be more cost effective to purchase one, and house it where I live. BUT, if I move (I know it's not often, but still happens), I would also have to pay electric charges for a 24x7 server, would suffer outages if my ISP/Power goes down (which could go un-noticed for hours if I'm not home), and a few other reasons why purchasing my own might not be best.

Also, I plan on sub-sidizing some of my cost. I already have one person onboard for $19.99 a month (I know, more expensive than you other guys but their package needs are complex - basically I took what 1and1 would have charged them for what they needed, MS Developer package, and am charging them that) - and am close to getting another. That would put me close to half way there, and if I'm aggressive I could fill the rest within a few months.

On the contrary, if I were hosting it here, I could make profit monthly since I have no overhead, and eventually make back my initial investment on the server.

What do you guys think?

A few more pros to hosting it elsewhere, was just thinking of these details while out for a run (anything to keep my mind off what I'm doing - ha!)

The static IPs which I can get through 1and1 are only .99 each (one included, up to 7 more), which would be $10 per through my ISP.

If any hardware fails, it gets replaced instantly for no charge. No waiting for turnaround if I need warranty replacements

Free backup to FTP, saves me cost on replacing/supporting backup hardware here.

if i was going to get a dedicated server it'd either be from 1and1, or i'd slap Lordofla and try to get a good deal ;)

though i do agree that having it hosted by someone else is just easyer + less for you to worry about.

http://servermatrix.com/
http://atjeu.com/

Both I can recommend, both are excellent. At atjeu, make sure you email sales and get the setup fee waived. You can try getting it waived at servermatrix, but you might be out of luck there.

They both are month to month contracts meaning you can step out of it as long as you give them 10 days warning before your next bill, and besides that you are good to go.

Full Disclosure: osnn.net is hosted at The Planet, of which Server Matrix is a sub-division. Atjeu hosts a server for a friend of mine whose site i can't mention. So yes, I am speaking from personal experience. I am not affiliated with either.

Did you know you can route your dynamic ip you have now through a dyndns.com account for free? It is very stable and most routers automatically, instantly update it when your ip changes. If you have dsl, I would recommend just to go and get your own server.

With their free account, there are no ads- and all they get out of it is you using a subdomain. With this subdomain, you can setup your folders how you want and link to them with proxy records from your domain registar. With proxy records, it will turn each folder you link to into a virtual server and build folders onto the base folder you selected.

If you want to go this route, I can help you with the external setup and proxy records - as I just went through the same myself.

They are not proxy records, they are frameforwarders. Which cause things like Google to not like you very much, and the real URL that it is being redirected to still shows up when looking at the source.

It also means stuff that is required for most businesses, SSL to not work. It really is not a viable solution for hosting websites. I currently host just my dev stuff from my own server here at home, but all the live stuff is online on dedicated servers to make sure it stays online when there is a power outage here at my house.

Besides, what kind of client would want their server to be hosted in an unstable place, where the server could be down for hours on end since it's owner has not been home yet to reset the power surge protector so that the server reboots itself?

Some registars do alow "mod_proxy" records that are different from frameforwarders. It creates a virtual host, and google does like them. In the source of the page you do not see two frames (one at 0% and the other at 100%). Also, you don't see the real url ever.

However, since this is a business, you are right that it should be hosted on a server that is more stable than one in your basement. I just mentioned this because kc was considering hosting it at home.

Thanks for info X, will be looking over details shortly. I need a decision this week.

One thing I don't believe 1and1 provides are Access databases. I'm gong to be setting up an E-Commerce site for someone and I need Access database access (if that makes sense) for it to work.

Alternatively MySQL can be used, but I'd have to get a Root server through 1and1 for that, but I really want the Windows one.

fyi if the e-commerce site is going to get anywhere near busy then I would really not recommend an Access database.

Have you thought about colocation? You own the server and just pay for rackspace, power and connection. It's usually quite a bit cheaper and you control the hardware and software. I've seen this go from $50 on up per month depending on your needs.

I have thought about colocation - do you have any recommendations for hosts?

fyi if the e-commerce site is going to get anywhere near busy then I would really not recommend an Access database.
It won't be that bad - they currently only have 15 products and probably only do about 5% of their current revenue via their website.

Then again, they do almost 30k in sales monthly, just atm it's mostly over the phone and mail orders

Apparently I can run MySQL at 1and1, just need to install and get it up and running since I would have full control. Need to look at what's involved with that, but it may be the route I travel.

EDIT: Found all the files and info I need over at mysql.com - what is the learning curve like on this stuff? Online info seems top-notch.

Last edited:
Have you thought about colocation? You own the server and just pay for rackspace, power and connection. It's usually quite a bit cheaper and you control the hardware and software. I've seen this go from $50 on up per month depending on your needs.

I know a guy that did colocation, all he got was a 128 kbit upload on the DSL line they rented from Verizon. He got one power drop, but was allowed any size. He paid quite a bit more than $50, almost $90 a month. Colocation in general is a bad idea, as the host is not allowed to touch your server, and swap hardware out for new hardware, even if you leave some behind as spares. Which means that if something goes wrong, you have to drive out to the Colocation, and fix the problem yourself.

Did you know you can route your dynamic ip you have now through a dyndns.com account for free? It is very stable and most routers automatically, instantly update it when your ip changes. If you have dsl, I would recommend just to go and get your own server.

With their free account, there are no ads- and all they get out of it is you using a subdomain. With this subdomain, you can setup your folders how you want and link to them with proxy records from your domain registar. With proxy records, it will turn each folder you link to into a virtual server and build folders onto the base folder you selected.

If you want to go this route, I can help you with the external setup and proxy records - as I just went through the same myself.

That's all well and good, and I have used www.no-ip.info before, but for .99 as a one time charge, I'll take the dedicated IP ;)

I do appreciate your input, and I know it's a bit behind but I think hosting it at home is out of the question at this point :D

I'm looking at DB options now, I have a few options available. Freaking real job is keeping me too busy to read up on which one I want though :)

I know Access is out, wasn't leaning towards it much but Geffeh kinda pushed me over the edge on that one. I was only thinking about it really because that is what I am most familiar with, and would get me up and running the quickest until I had time to learn one of the others (MySQL or Full blown SQL), but I may just buckle down and learn as I go.

Yeah... I understand. Sql is something I'll probably never understand though. I just use flat files. I know that's probably another bad idea for a business site :) . But it works.

Good luck in getting setup ;)

I'm looking at DB options now, I have a few options available. Freaking real job is keeping me too busy to read up on which one I want though :)

I know Access is out, wasn't leaning towards it much but Geffeh kinda pushed me over the edge on that one. I was only thinking about it really because that is what I am most familiar with, and would get me up and running the quickest until I had time to learn one of the others (MySQL or Full blown SQL), but I may just buckle down and learn as I go.

Re: MySQL

Download 5.0.xx whatever and install, it should just pretty much run I believe

then if you get MySQL Administrator and MySQL Query Browser
http://www.mysql.com/products/tools/

Makes administrating the server quite a might easier.

@TechnoChild: its well worth learning good database techniques.

What is Full Blown SQL? There is one SQL standard, and it is called SQL92. There are a few database systems that implement that standard: sqlite, MySQL, PostreGreSQL, MSSQL.

Of those, MySQL has the worst standards support when it comes to any SQL server before version 5.x, after that, they are pretty much up to spec, except when it comes to triggers and that sort of things.

Oracle uses a derivative of the SQL92 spec, with custom functions thrown in to make their database work harder server side, and spit out data like the client wants it.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Due to my lack of experience and time to beef on it, paired with my time constraint to get site A up and running, I'm starting with Access.

Not sure if I have mentioned, but atm they only have 15 products and their web revenue is low. I have 3-4 months to complete project from start to finish, (more involved than said here), and I want to meet that deadline. I will however, stay true to form and eventually learn/switch over to SQL. I just need to stay within my means to meet deadlines.

If the situation were different, such as more products I would definitely scale up, but is not needed as of yet.

If you'll forgive the "blowing my own trumpet" There's coreix.net and dedifast.net too, we're based in london and I'm a support tech.

1and1 is great as long as you dont ever need support.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back