Want to setup a home network.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by kewlio, Jul 17, 2002.

1. kewlio

kewlio Guest

I want to setup a 100 Mbps network between my 2 dell systems. Both of them came with a network card but I would like to know what else I need. I had 2 phoneline networking cards but they aren't compatible with Windows XP and I would like a faster speed than 10Mbps.

Thanks

2. Kaplunk

Kaplunk Guest

or just use a cross cable between them, if you only have 2 machines that takes out the need for the hub/router. and you get 100mb without having to buy 100 meg hub/router/switch

3. xsk8zerox

xsk8zerox Moderator

no i think you have to buy a switch

4. project3

project3 Guest

hey all,

well this is a re-edit - as i dont wanna look too much like a fool........ as the dude above beat me to the mark about x-overs.....next time.....................................bang.....................to qik...lol,

ciao

5. xsk8zerox

xsk8zerox Moderator

im saying i think you need a switch for 100mbs

6. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

u dont need switch all u need it a hub but if u have a high speed internet connection then u will want to get a router and u that and u also ahve teh capabilty to expand the network, but is not then a X over cable will work just fine

7. kewlio

kewlio Guest

Well I don't have any high speed net connection (wish i did lol) and I don't plan on expanding my network so all I would need is a crossover cable and the 10/100 netowrk cards and I can get 100Mbps speed with out a hub, switch or any other hardware?

Thanks alot. You all have been a great help.

8. MAC

MAC Guest

There is no need for a switch. A crossover cable is all you need. In theory it is a faster setup than a switch(2 100base cards and a crossover). I use a 3com 4 port router and share a highspeed internet connection with my 2 computers. My 2 networked puters on highspeed, with 2, 4, or 6 other fast connections connected via game servers, just rocks on WC3, Jedi II, and MOH. And I have room for a lan party as u can switch off the router and add up to 253 DHCP connections. 2 puters gaming get cards and cable. Want to share internet and have expansion ability with printer server sharing, get a router.

9. Kaplunk

Kaplunk Guest

yeah one 2-20 dollar cable is all you need :)
    depending on how far they are form each other :)

10. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

and if u ahve some good nic cards u can put them both to a full tx duplx and get 200mb a second with an x-over cable netowork

11. for only 2 computers all you need is a crossover cable just swap the green and orange pairs on one end.......

cables, cables

regular cable-----------------------------------------------crossover cable

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    if no pics its because AOL sucks

12. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

Just like to cpnfirm you definitely dont need a switch/hub/router, just a cable. I'm doing it and am running at 100mbps.