Want to run a Linux based machine, but which distro?

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by Glaanieboy, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

OK, just for fun, I want to install Linux on my machine (on a separate harddisk while the Windows harddisk has been taken out, just to be sure). If I want a easy to understand distro, where both terminal and GUI configuration is easy, for webserving (Apache and PHP), database (MySQL) and a GUI (for webbrowsing if I need help), is Slackware a good choice? So far I only got experience with RedHat and Mandrake, but I gave up on it, because it was to difficult for me at the time.
    I don't want to use the distro as a desktop replacement (yet), but as long as configuring is easy etc. and with a clear structure (not that the config files are all located on different places) and with the points I said above, I am happy.
    Oh, and I rather not want to use FreeBSD, I have tried installing both 4.8 and 4.9, but both failed, because for some reason my monitor said the video was out of range when I booted up in the GUI.

If you say I can google for help, you're right, but I trust your guys, and I know that some guys/girls have good experiences with Linux.

Specs (if you need any):
    MSI-6309 with a Via chipset
    PentiumIII 800 Mhz
    256 MB
    20 GB
    LAN internet connected through a router
    Samsung 151s 15" TFT monitor @ 1024x768 @ 72 Hz

2. falcone

falcone WinFS Advocate :D

3. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Hm, when I tried Mandrake, I found it quite good. But I have heard some very good things about slackware, so if there are some good recommendations for that, I will try it. Other recommendations may also be given of course :)

4. falcone

hmm tried debian? fedora red hat is not too bad too...

5. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

Slackware config is mostly done through text files, and you won't get much GUI configuration. Unless I was to use Dropline Gnome on Slack, I'd go with Mandrake or Fedora. Debian could also be a choice. I'm on a Debian box right now. Once you get used to apt-get and the ghastly install process, it'll be a breeze running your box. apt-get is very very powerful.

6. falcone

debian's installation is ghastly alright.. drove me nuts once lol... :p

7. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Hmm, looks like it's going to be Mandrake after all. I am now downloading Mandrake 9.2, I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

8. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Anyone have any opinions of Java Desktop Environment? I just got a free copy of it (legal).

9. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

I've had my share of SunOS and JDE. Never cared for either GUI interfaces. The backend (shell) is pretty good.

10. falcone

whats SunOS and JDE?

EDIT : does SunOS happen to have anything to do with Solaris? :confused:

11. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

SunOS is what they call Solaris now.

JDE = Java Desktop Environment.

12. falcone

okay.. so JDE is??? actually, i tink it is a java-based desktop right? but wouldn't that be extraordinarily slow? i mean the java runtimes on windows is really sluggish..

13. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

Not really. JRE's are slow in Windows because it has to:

1. Launch the JRE virtual machine program (like running an OS in an OS)

Then

2. Launch the App

Since the OS is Java, you don't have to worry about the A part so it essentially will run just like any other OS.

Example:

Windows runs great on the PC hardware
    Mac OS X runs great on the PowerPC hardware

Yet, when you run Windows on a Mac using VirtualPC, windows runs slower than a snail! Why? Because PC hardware has to be emulated, memory has to be allocated, and processing power has to be shared. The same would be true if you could run Mac OS X virtually on a PC.

14. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

isn't that new "java desktop" just linux running like kde modified w/ java apps?

* Edit * - got off topic of the post :p ... I vote slackware ... if you wanna run X make sure you config it correctly before starting up your gui and you shouldn't get those nasty error msg's.

*Edit #2 * - my bad based off gnome not kde :/ ...
    taken from suns own site here

15. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

But Windows and Mac programs are compiled to machine code while the Java I know is compiled into byte code which has to be interpreted by the JVM. Unless the OS only runs applications code compiled to a language the machine can understand without the need for a JVM, it'll always be slower.

16. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

FreeBSD, forget Linux.

17. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Haha, that's funny, considering the first post clearly indicated:

18. Xie

but it sounds like it only "failed" because he need to tweak X some.

19. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

That's quite possible, but from what I understood of the original post, he wanted something that would work without much tweaking.

20. Xie

He's done RH and Mandrake ... not sure he's gonna find a distro thats gonna be more GUI/server friendly "out of box" then them. :/