Want another program to run when I type notepad

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Punkrulz, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Punkrulz

Punkrulz Somewhat eXPerienced

Hey guys,

Right now I want something else to run when I type in notepad. I have a program called Notepad2, open source software that's a major improvement over the current notepad. However, when I type in notepad in the run box, it opens up notepad... and when I type notepad2 in the run box, it doesn't open anything.

I've tried copying the notepad2 file over into the C:\Windows\System32 folder and tried running it that way. Nothing. I've tried renaming notepad.exe to notepad.exe.bak, and renaming notepad2.exe to notepad.exe, and tried running that... but after typing in notepad, Windows still opened up the old school notepad.

How can I make it so that I type notepad and it will automatically run Notepad 2?

Thanks!

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

ok
    basically notepad.exe is in a folder windows recognises as erm global if you will...

Go to System Properties, Advanced, Environmental Variables and add the following to the path variable:

;C:\<Path to program>\

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

search the registry for notepad.exe when you come to the apppaths section changed the path in the entry to whatever you want to load and voila.

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I use Notepad2 as well.
    Just place it in C:\WINDOWS, along with the regular notepad.exe. You should then be able to get to it using Start>Run>notepad2

5. Mr. K

Mr. K OSNN Occasional

Here's how to replace notepad.exe without Windows restoring it to the original.

6. Punkrulz

Punkrulz Somewhat eXPerienced

Punk, I added it to both places in that Environmental places ... place, and it doesn't work.

I've been searching for it for awhile, I haven't found anything that comes up with apppaths... do you happen to know the exact location of it?

I will try that when I get home from work later today...

Same for that...