Vundo infection, closes all browsers when attempting to fix, BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Punkrulz, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Punkrulz

Punkrulz Somewhat eXPerienced

Hey guys,

I didn't receive a response on the Vundo Fix thread. I believe I have a laptop that has been infected with Vundo. I was able to determine this by downloading and running Super Antispyware. Unfortunately, shortly after it detects Vundo while still scanning, I get a BSOD that says "Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area".

I read the thread and attempted to download anything that would fix vundo. When attempting to go to any website that has Vundofix, or Malwarebytes, or even searching these in google, the browser closes itself down. This happens in both Safe Mode and Normal. I also can't install HiJackThis. I believe it tied itself in with a regular system process as I don't see anything out of the ordinary when in safe mode.

Is there anything that can be downloaded that may not trigger it to close the browser? Again, every other website works, it seems to know what would remove it. Also, if I were to download said fixes from another computer and place it onto a thumb drive, would the Vundo immediately affect the thumb drive upon connecting to the infected PC?

Thanks!

2. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

3. Punkrulz

Thanks for the help TDInc, however it still fails! I'm able to download the zip file and extract them. However, when attempting to install VundoFix or MBytes, it closes them out immediately as well. It closes MBytes after choosing the language, and it closes Vundofix immediately.

Ugh... this definitely needs to be reformatted, but lack of a CDRom is killing me.

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

have you tried the files running from safe mode ?

5. Punkrulz

Yes, happens both times.

6. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User