VPN trials and tribulations...

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
For my sins I have to make a VPN connection to earn my daily crust.

Normally this works in a throroughly uninterrupted fashion - IE I make the connection, I work, I get tired - (play UT2k maybe) - break the connection and go eat drink sleep...

BUT lately the blasted VPN connection is dropping like the proverbial fly - sometimes barely staying up long enough for me to complete my remote logins and start work!

I spoke to the freephone helpline and their story is that VPN is "not officially supported" for my DSL service on the basis that I get a dynamic IP address. But by my technical knowledge this is assigned at the time I make a connection to the service and should remain stable for duration of any VPN session within that. Given I use a router I have probably had my current IP for about 41 days and some anyway!

I am going to talk to someone more technically aware from my IP shortly - and this may result in my changing IP which would not be a bad thing but is a hassle and I have to try to make sure it happens seamlessly - but in the meanwhile I thought I would see if anyone here cared to backup or disprove this theory of VPN dropping unexpectedly.

And if it has nothing to do with dynamic IP what else could I look at? Any help or advice or links will definitely get rep. points - downtime like this costs me £'s! :(

It's true that your IP should stick until you log off. BUT, my friend has experienced being kicked off a number of times within a 5-day period, and has been assigned a new IP once or twice.

I, on the otherhand, have a dynamic IP that's been stuck with me since the day that I joined my ISP back in April 2002. lol ;)

HMMMMmmmm I have spoken with my IP and they are not aware of anything their end that could jeopordise VPN continuity - despite 21 outages earlier today the connection has now been up for 3 hours continous. Anyone got any other ideas? If I change IP how could I ensure an improvement with them, or make sure their service does not suffer from this? Can you ever get anything kinda guaranteed into the service levels?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back