VPN and Network Neighborhood

T

tkole

I have a LAN setup behind a linksys router and have setup a VPN server on the LAN. I have ports 1723 and 47 forwarded to the VPN server and can connect to the server through the VPN conection with no problem from outside the LAN. However, I thought that connecting to a LAN with VPN effectively makes you part of the LAN. When I view the workgroup computers around me from the client computer I do not see any of the computers in the LAN, and if I do ip searches, the only computer I can access is the VPN server. Is there something that I'm missing?

did you try adding the machine names and ip addresses to the hosts file? I use VPN on a corporate lan, the only way I was able to search them was to add them in the hosts file.

Do you add them to the host file of the client or the server? What is the format that you enter them in?

add it to the client. the format would be
mycomputername (then press tab key) myipaddress

you should be able to just go by how microsoft has it set up. Just remember when you save it, don't save it with an extension.

The problem is that my client computer cannot even see any of the ip's on the lan except for the server. If I ping the server I get a response. If I ping any of the other computers on the LAN, I get timeouts. Is there some protocol that I have to enable on the server to get it to pass on the requests to the other computers on the LAN?

when connected to the VPN server is it using the VPN server as you DNS server? If it is not then that might be a problem.

What software are you using for the VPN server?

For my work's VPN the remote computer has to have the same domain name as the LAN it is trying to connect to.

Bad example:

Remote vpn computer domain is named "Mystuff"
Lan domain at work is named "M$haft"

The remote computer needs its domain name changed to "M$haft".

Also, and this is insulting, but hey I overlooked something once myself... Is some portion of the computer HD's on the LAN shared? If not, there is nothing to see.

And, BTW I can access server computer HD's at work but not individual desktops on the LAN. They are all set for no share. I also can't ping anything at work. Ping is blocked.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back