vmware and a new partition

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
i am in the process of installing red hat with vmware and it is asking me to partition my hdd and i dont want too because that will mean that i louse all my data and i dont want to let that happen. i am running an ntfs drive and here is a pic. can someone help.

Did you create the virtual machine and assign space in some folder on your drive?
If you did that, go ahead and let it auto-partition. You won't lose any data, since its partitioning a virtual drive in a virtual machine. Basically, one file on your HDD will serve as a virtual partition, and the installation program will create partitions within this file.
In short, one file on your hard disk is like a whole virtual drive.

Trust me ... I've installed linux in VMware several times already. :)

No, the setting where you allocate space on your existing partition for the VM file (linux.vmdk)
You need to choose the Custom option when creating the Virtual machine. If you select Typical, it might skip this step and you won't be able to choose where on your hard disk the file should be placed.

Make sure you read the installation instructions for Redhat on the VMware site ... everything will be clear then. :)

Originally posted by canadian_divx
ok thanks i got it now

Yeah, the concept of a virtual machine can be a little difficult to grasp at first ;)

Its a really good way to try out new operating systems. Only drawback: the OS will slower when it is running in the VM.

which one is better for hardware compatability red hat or mandrake or some thing else??

i already figures out how to use a virtual disk for teh iso's but i will lookinto it because i dont know if it will detect my aduigy card and i want it to

i use xp pro and have win2kas, 98se and linux mandrake 9.0 beta running in vmware.

although i've followed the directions on the vmware site for implementing sound, i haven't been able to get it to work with any os.

if you get sound working in vmware, lemme know whatcha did! :)

i ahve not been able to get the sound working but the other thing that is bigging me is that i cant get any text on any of the icons or the menus. any patch for this or a thing to fix it for a learner

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back