--== Vista with 4GB RAM ==--

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--
Hi guys .. can't seem to figure out what is the problem here. I have a notebook that has 2 pieces of 2GB installed in the system. In BIOS, the memory is registered as 4GB but when windows Vista boot, it can only register 3GB. Any idea where is the problem? :rolleyes::crosseyed::rolleyes::crosseyed::rolleyes:

Its a limitation on the 32bit version of windows, you should consider checking out the 64bit version, there really isn't a reason not to these days I don't think. (although check all your laptops hardware for drivers before you do as they can be harder to come by!)

vista sp1 will semi fix this, it will show what's installed and what's available to the system

I'm running x64 vista and have had almost 0 problems with it besides a random program here and there. I would check out what programs you use most of the time and see if there are any incompatibilities.

Thanks guys. You mean to say that the problem lies with Vista not being able to identify full 4GB that was installed on the system? Since it is not identifying, would it be right to say it will not make 100% full use of the 4GB memory? :eek::suprised::eek::suprised:

Don't think any 32bit OS can see more than 4GB, so yes the system will not use the full 4GB, it will only use what it shows in the control panel

Don't think any 32bit OS can see more than 4GB, so yes the system will not use the full 4GB, it will only use what it shows in the control panel

Your right Carpo,

The 64bit version of vista is the way to go with 4gig RAM. That, and the fact that the CPU can write 64bit extensions as well. I think all cpu's nowadays are capable of that, anyways.

Heeter

Thanks guys. You mean to say that the problem lies with Vista not being able to identify full 4GB that was installed on the system? Since it is not identifying, would it be right to say it will not make 100% full use of the 4GB memory? :eek::suprised::eek::suprised:

it's really a problem with almost 32 bit OSes. Not just vista, I can't extend this out past microsoft because I'm not sure how Linux or OS X can handle over 3 gigs of ram in their 32 bit OSes

Out of interest, if you could put unlimited amount of memory in your computer, how much of the memory would a 64 bit pc see? Does it have a limitation like 32 bit does?

Windows XP x64 can support much more memory; although the theoretical memory limit a 64-bit computer can address is about 16 exbibytes (16 billion Gibibytes), Windows XP x64 is currently limited to 128 GB of physical memory and 16 TiB of virtual memory. Microsoft claims this limit will be increased as hardware capabilities improve.

and vista would still run slow on it :p - but would follow the same specs

Last edited:
"With Windows Vista SP1, currently planned for the first quarter of 2008, Microsoft will force the operating system to show the full amount of system memory installed, and not only the memory that Vista has available."

did have a link somewhere, think i posted the sp1 changelog on here somewhere, do a search and see if you can hunt it down :)

That's good enough for me, thanks :)

Have to wonder if that is somewhat a ploy to get people with higher-ended systems to purchase a x64 license. Like, will they have something such as "Your PC has 4GB but you are only using 3GB, click here for more info" and it will bring them to a page that they can buy a license or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back