--== Vista with 4GB RAM ==--

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dreamworks, Jan 18, 2008.

1. dreamworks

dreamworks --== babyface ==--

Hi guys .. can't seem to figure out what is the problem here. I have a notebook that has 2 pieces of 2GB installed in the system. In BIOS, the memory is registered as 4GB but when windows Vista boot, it can only register 3GB. Any idea where is the problem? :rolleyes::crosseyed::rolleyes::crosseyed::rolleyes:

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Its a limitation on the 32bit version of windows, you should consider checking out the 64bit version, there really isn't a reason not to these days I don't think. (although check all your laptops hardware for drivers before you do as they can be harder to come by!)

3. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

vista sp1 will semi fix this, it will show what's installed and what's available to the system

4. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

I'm running x64 vista and have had almost 0 problems with it besides a random program here and there. I would check out what programs you use most of the time and see if there are any incompatibilities.

5. dreamworks

dreamworks --== babyface ==--

Thanks guys. You mean to say that the problem lies with Vista not being able to identify full 4GB that was installed on the system? Since it is not identifying, would it be right to say it will not make 100% full use of the 4GB memory? :eek::suprised::eek::suprised:

6. Dark Atheist

Don't think any 32bit OS can see more than 4GB, so yes the system will not use the full 4GB, it will only use what it shows in the control panel

7. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Your right Carpo,

The 64bit version of vista is the way to go with 4gig RAM. That, and the fact that the CPU can write 64bit extensions as well. I think all cpu's nowadays are capable of that, anyways.

Heeter

8. Tuffgong4

it's really a problem with almost 32 bit OSes. Not just vista, I can't extend this out past microsoft because I'm not sure how Linux or OS X can handle over 3 gigs of ram in their 32 bit OSes

9. gillmacca

gillmacca Macca

Out of interest, if you could put unlimited amount of memory in your computer, how much of the memory would a 64 bit pc see? Does it have a limitation like 32 bit does?

10. Dark Atheist

Windows XP x64 can support much more memory; although the theoretical memory limit a 64-bit computer can address is about 16 exbibytes (16 billion Gibibytes), Windows XP x64 is currently limited to 128 GB of physical memory and 16 TiB of virtual memory. Microsoft claims this limit will be increased as hardware capabilities improve.

and vista would still run slow on it :p - but would follow the same specs

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  11. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Wasn't aware of that but seems cool - have a link with more details?

12. Dark Atheist

"With Windows Vista SP1, currently planned for the first quarter of 2008, Microsoft will force the operating system to show the full amount of system memory installed, and not only the memory that Vista has available."

did have a link somewhere, think i posted the sp1 changelog on here somewhere, do a search and see if you can hunt it down :)

13. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

That's good enough for me, thanks :)

Have to wonder if that is somewhat a ploy to get people with higher-ended systems to purchase a x64 license. Like, will they have something such as "Your PC has 4GB but you are only using 3GB, click here for more info" and it will bring them to a page that they can buy a license or something.

14. Tuffgong4

showing 4GB and using 4GB are two different things. These are 3 articles that go into detail of 32 bit addressing and memory usage on 32 bit windows oses. These gave me a lot of info about the problem and I upgraded to x64 vista not long after.

A Messy Transition

A Messy Transition Part 2

A Messy Transition Part 3

Read these and a lot should be answered.