Vista upgrade..isit safe?

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
Is it safe for a vista upgrade, im not doing a clean install? Here is what wont work, but i have the new live messenger and i have the vista audio drivers, but the SCSI and RAID controllers, will that cause a problem?

Attachments

• upgrade.jpg
    upgrade.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 303
Is there a reason you want to do an upgrade and not a clean install?

Microsoft and every smart person on the planet do clean installs of new OSes :)

Last edited:
vista is actually a lot nicer in the way they "upgrade". Technically, it is a clean install as it does a drops a new version of Vista via the image.. then it tries to import some of the older settings.

I've heard a lot better things about upgrading from XP to Vista than I ever have in the past when doing upgrades.

However, I still (And always will) recommend a clean format/reload.

Maybe failurbydesign doesn't know how to do a clean install. If that's the case, let us know and we'll guide you through it :)

First of all, im not stupid, i know a clean install is better than an upgrade, but im sure many of you have read my threads (Cuz a **** load of people do and dont reply) about issues i have had with vista and my video card and other misc, issues, so i decided to get xp pro back on with all my programs, settings, and drivers working 100% I would take the vista upgrade and see how well those settings worked. Now after the upgrade, i noticed that my video card issue is back (WHICH F'n SUCKS) and only like 2 programs dont work cuz i need the newest version. So if that didn't help you at all, well them im sorry. I do appreciate everyones help who doesn't criticize people..thanks madmatt and Grandmaster..

If you were having issues on a clean install, what made you think an upgrade would change anything???

it was worth a shot, plus since i had all the drivers up and working, i thought it might solve any issues i had. It solved some, but vista doesn't see my pci-e slot at all. as of right now, my x700 pro is in that slot, power and and fan running, but the computer doesn't see it at all. would that have anything to do with my SCSI and RAID controllers??

FBD, I wasn't critizing you. I am aware of your previous troubles (however, I have not responded).

Your biggest problem with the stability of Vista is drivers.

How did the video card incident turn out? Was your card in fact dead?

If you are performing an upgrade and want to try it out then you can uninstall Windows Messenger 5.1 and the Realtek Audio Sound Effect Manager prior to beginning the upgrade process.

However, your controller will be a problem. Has the manufacturer released updated drivers for it?

the audio and msger are no big deal. i dont know what scsi or raid is...doe it have to do with my video card? the card works 100% under xp pro, but craps out in vista....its hooked up, but the pc doesnt see it.

mamatt i thanked you for bein helpful, not rude

The SCSI controller is likely for your SATA drives. Which manufacturer and motherboard do you have? Most newer boards have a controller built in for setting up a RAID (0, 1, 5, etc.).

its and intel d915gse. its a gateway case and mb, but i bought it just like that, so i dont know what model it is, but i knoe its a 700 or 800 series due to the case i have

raid is for attaching multiple hard disks together (dividing or mirroring data)... chipsets usually comes onboard

scsi is an interface for connecting diverse devices (most commonly hds and scanners)...

did you built your pc yourself or buy a branded one? if you don't know what they are i'm guessing you're not using them... so the upgrade shouldn't make any problems

yea i have no idea if im using them, i have a sata wester digital hd, but i just find it weird that the pci-e slots just "sometimes" works. Just with vista, no other os...

how many hds do you have? for raid you need at least more than one, so if you only have that wd you're safe

and if it's sata, then scsi ain't a problem either

for the pci-e, if you have problems try gettin the lastest drivers for your motherboard

yea just one hd. The drive is the d915gse, like i said, its only listed in the intel site as a d915g, so i have installed the program to "make everything work" but it didnt work....and when i search that mb on google, i get nothing promising.

i think since is branded is not a standard retail motherboard, that's why it's not showing on intel's site

try looking for updates on gateway's page

Last edited:
Did you run the Chipset Identification Utility from Intel? Sometimes you will need the "F6" driver for older SATA configurations.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back