Vista Ultimate 32Bit OEM

N

Not Bman

So as some of you know I just picked up Vista. I got an OEM version of Vista Ultimate 32Bit. Now when I bought it I totally forgot about the whole RAM limit thing of 32Bit. Which is why I got the OEM version since it's cheaper.

Half the reason why I wanted Vista was because I could have more then 4GB (3.2GB) of RAM. First question is, the limit is 100% true with Vista correct? Second, is there anything I can do, call Microsoft for upgrade? Maybe it would be worth my time to sell and rebuy?

What are your ideas?

Help, Thanks.

I think you can buy an "upgrade" to 64 bits cheap from Microsoft. It's about 10 euros in Europe...

So as some of you know I just picked up Vista. I got an OEM version of Vista Ultimate 32Bit. Now when I bought it I totally forgot about the whole RAM limit thing of 32Bit. Which is why I got the OEM version since it's cheaper.

Half the reason why I wanted Vista was because I could have more then 4GB (3.2GB) of RAM. First question is, the limit is 100% true with Vista correct? Second, is there anything I can do, call Microsoft for upgrade? Maybe it would be worth my time to sell and rebuy?

What are your ideas?

Help, Thanks.

It's a 32-bit limit.

The limitation exists regardless of the OS as long as it is 32-bit.

Now with SP1, Vista "recognizes" your memory as 4GB (check the screenshots I have posted in other threads and the WEI thread in the benchmarks section) but it still uses only about 3.35GB standard.

If you buy the "upgrade" from Microsoft, they should typically send license and media to you.

:cool:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

Check that for media ordering direct from Microsoft.

Thanks, I probably will use the 32Bit version and upgrade to SP1. Then in the future I will upgrade to 64Bit, since at the moment I might only be able to afford 4GB.

Thanks for the details and the upgrade page.

Don't forget to join the F@lding team :D

Even at around 50% on a couple of cores, you will still be able to contribute significantly and not use much power or generate much heat :)

its a limit of every 32bit os - in ms case they did it as devs did not write drivers that could handle large mem addresses

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back