Vista To Win 7 Ugrade Question

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by Android412, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Android412

Android412 OSNN Addict

Hamilton, ON
    I'm thinking of upgrading my wife's laptop from Vista to Windows 7 and wanted to know if all the settings would be carried over?

Most importantly she has remote access to her work computer, that I have no idea how to set up again, and want to make sure it would be carried over during the upgrade.

2. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Happy Valley
    Never upgrade a windows OS, always do a clean install. You will have problems if you upgrade.
  3. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Arizona near the Grand Canyon
    Yes in theory all settings etc would be transfered from Vista to 7 but that doesn't mean things would work.
    Would be better to talk to wife's employer to find out if they would support a upgrade to 7 to before you do anything as they're not going to support it, I don't see much point in doing it. When I say upgrade I mean doing a clean install
  4. samurusawyer

samurusawyer OSNN One Post Wonder

I would suggest you to first check weather you computer is compatible with Windows 7, before going further.

* 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor
    * 1 GB of system memory
    * 16 GB of available disk space
    * Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128 MB memory (to enable the Aero theme)

The system requirements published yesterday for the official Release Candidate are the following:

* 1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    * 1 GB of RAM (32-bit)/2 GB of RAM (64-bit)
    * 16 GB of available disk space (32-bit)/20 GB (64-bit)
    * DirectX 9 graphics device with Windows Display Driver Model 1.0 or higher driver

The only real changes to the system requirements since January are slightly bumped up ones for the 64-bit version, though we suspect anyone who plans to run the x64 build will have a machine that’s way beyond the minimum (having at least 4 GB of RAM would be a good starting point).a
  5. grajasekar

grajasekar OSNN One Post Wonder

What version of Vista are you trying to upgrade? And to what version of Win 7? There do exist certain incompatible upgrade paths that'll vex you no end AFTER you have bought a particular windows 7 license.
  6. j4m3z

j4m3z OSNN One Post Wonder

You need to check whether your version of Vista can be upraded to Win 7 first.