Vista stupid slow on new machine

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey all,

I don't know where to begin, but I am having just a headache with this setup. Vista 64bit is really really slow and locking up as well.

Here are the specs:

Intel q6600 quad core, 2 x2gig 1066 Patriot Extreme RAM, Asus P5N-T Deluxe, 2 x 150GIG Raptors in stripe RAID, 1010Watt Power Supply, 8800GTX, Vista 64bit SP1

I haven't even installed the other 2 GTX vid cards yet.

Was getting BSOD while installing OS, had to restart new install three times. Now it's just a flatout pig. It takes over 5 minutes from boot to stable desktop.

Mobo drivers are from CD, and vid card drivers are from nvidia (latest).

I have no idea where to start looking to fix this.

Thanks,

Heeter

Hey all,

I don't know where to begin, but I am having just a headache with this setup. Vista 64bit is really really slow and locking up as well.

Here are the specs:

Intel q6600 quad core, 2 x2gig 1066 Patriot Extreme RAM, Asus P5N-T Deluxe, 2 x 150GIG Raptors in stripe RAID, 1010Watt Power Supply, 8800GTX, Vista 64bit SP1

Was getting BSOD while installing OS, had to restart new install three times. Now it's just a flatout pig. It takes over 5 minutes from boot to stable desktop.

Thanks,

Heeter

That is very weird.

Please describe the process and if you have a legit/full version of Vista being installed?

Did you just change out some hardware and try and run vista and then installed or was it a complete fresh install?

Also, I am not trying to insult your intelligence, just asking the questions that popped in my mind first :D

If you are doing a fresh setup with a clean install, I am surprised you are getting bsods. The intel boards are usually pretty stable for Vista installs.

My suggestion is to start off by checking everything to make sure there is sufficient power/all cooling items are seated properly and all error codes are checked on the mobo. Then re-install FRESH with the Vista driver by doing a complete new installation, preferrably with just one hard-drive.

Once you have done this, your system should boot up and your speed should be good. Then you can start installing other drivers as needed, but the initial boot environment is what I am interested in. If it is still slow, we can do more research.

With that processor, it should take you less than an hour to have it low-level formatted AND installed, give or take a few mins :)

Cheers.

turn off indexing and desktop search - from the admin panel - this will speed it right up

Hey all,

Here are the specs:

Thanks,

Heeter

I suggest you start from new, first turn off the computer and remove one of the 2gig ram chips.
Do a format and reinstall as new, choose custom install to get to disk options so you can format or delete partition.
Disconnect from internet, remove cable or whatever.
Do not allow Windows updates before instalation. Do not check the the online activation, you can do this later when you are sure everything is ok.
New install on your computer should take less then 30 minutes.
After install, load all required drivers and your antivirus. If all is well connect to internet and download updates, or you might be better off downloading the SP1 x64 as this is a new instalation.
When all is well shut down and reinstall the other 2gig chip.
Activate when you are satisfied all is well.

i would check for latest drivers as i know intel chipset has problems with sp1 - update ones dont, if its an nvidia board get 15.08 drivers for chipset

I dont know why so many people are having issues with mem - i have 4gb in here and vista x64 sp1 installed extremely fast, no errors, you could do what ray had to do and see if there is a bios update for your board, it fixed his issue with 4gb ram, might be most people who are have issues are using 2GB sticks

If it is a Vista sp1 disc, ram should not be the problem. have you checked your bios settings that they are correct?

quad cores need 4GB+ else they get bogged down. I'd say 4GB was the bare minimum for quad core.

Does your Vista Install disk have SP1 on it? If not, you will run into problems when using over 2GB of ram in your system during the install. This is fixed through SP1 though.

quad cores need 4GB+ else they get bogged down. I'd say 4GB was the bare minimum for quad core.

Eh what?

The number of cores here is not going to be leading to the slow-down and besides, the amount of memory in the system should be corresponding to the memory usage of the applications, not necessarily the number of cores in the system.

Does your Vista Install disk have SP1 on it? If not, you will run into problems when using over 2GB of ram in your system during the install. This is fixed through SP1 though.

32-bit client os's cannot utilize or address all 4GB. This has not been "fixed" in SP1, you can simply view all 4 GB now instead of 2.8 or 3.2 or whatever people saw before.

The overall performance should not be affected.

I installed Vista with a Quadcore and 8Gb of ram no probs, I would advise to make sure you have the correct power cables plugged in, I had a problem with my second GFX card that I hadn't remembered to plug in one of the connectors, other than that I would say to leave the indexing on once you have it sorted as it speeds things up greatly once it is done.

Make sure the MB drivers are all installed as early as possible. If not you will be running at a fraction of the PC's capability.

Clean install for VISTA 64 will be a necessity. If you are attempting an over-install risk is high of conflicts. Higher than with going 32 bit to 32 bit.

Get SP1 on as early in the process as possible. Since updating to XP on my machine it is now almost as good as XP. I might even start using VISTA, oh wiat, none of my app's run under it. never mind. :0

Hey Guys,

This is what I got so far.

I started getting ACPI errors as found by Windows, I looked at google for resolution, found nothing really concrete. Windows kept locking up at bootup after POST during driver load screen. I moved the 2 sticks of ram around, then tried one at a time, but same result.

I delete/recreated the raid of the 150gig Raptors, and removed one 2gig stick. I am trying to reinstall Vista, but now stuck at loading the raid driver section. I keep loading the three drivers on the Adrive, but Vista doesn't recognize the drivers now.

So now I am stuck here..................

Heeter

Vista to run at full speed requires a dual quad core machine :p. And a good 16 GB or so of RAM. 2 GB per core should be enough. Also, you need two graphics cards in SLI mode.

:D

Oh, since it is an Intel machine, grab iAtkos or Kalyway from your favourite torrent site and give Mac OS X a try!

This machine is not mine,

I will never spend $499CDN on an operating system, like this person getting me to build this machine.

I do know one thing, this thing is not making me happy. I still am stuck in the loading RAID driver window. Now I don't know if it's a hardware issue. I am completely at a loss.

Heeter

first off are you trying to install onto the raid ? second check the bios and turn the raid off if its on in there, third check where the drives are connected to the board, a system i had was set-up rather strange when i got the board, raid was on which took up the first 2 sata ports, so they put the main drive on sata 3 - which vista did not like, once i had turned off raid, and moved the drives to sata1 and sata2 vista installed happy as you like, then all i did was add the other drives to the raid ports and turned raid on.

If you are trying to install to raid place the cd you have for the board - or if possible get the latest drivers for the raid from the manufacturers website and stick them on a usb key and plug that in, then tell vista you wish to install the drivers for the raid and either point it at the cd or the usb key

Thanks, Carpo

Yes trying to install onto RAID'ed Raptors (150gig SATA ports 1&2). All 6 SATA ports on this mobo is raidable (if that is a word).

Yes the drivers are on a floppy and I have been trying that for the last long while.

I did mention in previous posts that it somewhat worked the first time, but since then it hasn't worked.

Heeter

never could understand why people would install sys to raid but meh, you could try my other suggestion - look for bios update

Hey all,

Here are the specs:

Thanks,

Heeter

As I have said b4 I have a similar lock up.... delayed boot up of approx 5 minutes with a Q6600 processor and Nvidia 7300GT video card.
I have tried many times all possible remedies known, over 10 - 15 years knowledge.. good job I dont use RAID as well !

i have never nor will i ever use raid for the system os - i always use a seperate smaller drive for that and use the raid as storage

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back