Vista SP1 - more details

it has the desktop manager turned off and not installed. At least that was the case with Beta 2 :)

I left this installing when I went to work this evening. When I get home I will check the build and come back to folks.

If the build matches the Server 2k8 builds then it is the RTM.

From what I have read the SP1 download isn't slipstreamable with the original Vista RTM disk for an integrated SP1 installation. This is real stupid to me as now, if you have to reinstall Vista, you will be forced to download all the updates plus SP1 again. You can't make your own slipstreams at home but will have to order a whole new disk with SP1 from Microsoft. Wonder if they will offer it for free?

I doubt it.

That really does suck, particularly since Vista RTM has a terrible bug that prevents installation with more than 3GB of RAM (KB929777) that mainly seems to afflict nForce chipsets. I wanted an SP1 slipstream, so I could actually access my recovery console without 5 or so BSOD reboots, hoping for a random success.

Although I would hate to do so, if I can't slipstream, I will buy one of those discs from Microsoft just to avoid this really awful, annoying, and terribly sloppy bug. I just hope that it doesn't cost too much!

That really does suck, particularly since Vista RTM has a terrible bug that prevents installation with more than 3GB of RAM (KB929777) that mainly seems to afflict nForce chipsets. I wanted an SP1 slipstream, so I could actually access my recovery console without 5 or so BSOD reboots, hoping for a random success.

Although I would hate to do so, if I can't slipstream, I will buy one of those discs from Microsoft just to avoid this really awful, annoying, and terribly sloppy bug. I just hope that it doesn't cost too much!
I think the sp's are all patches included, all you should need is the sp, not the previous patches

I don't know for sure

um.. i have 4gb of ram in here and vista installed fine, although it can only see 3.25

What's your experience of x64 now? Word on the street is that it's pretty good now. :)

I've been using it now for over a month, since my new computer has 8 GB of RAM in it, and it's been good. One big downside, for the longest time, was that iTunes didn't support Vista x64 at all, so you would have to do a rather messy hack to get CD burning support, but as of iTunes 7.6, it's officially supported.

But, really, it's quite stable at this point, so I wouldn't be afraid to, at least, try it.

um.. i have 4gb of ram in here and vista installed fine, although it can only see 3.25

I seem to get this sense of disbelief a lot, so here it goes:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

SYMPTOMS
When you try to install Windows Vista, you may receive an error message that resembles the following:
STOP 0x0000000A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
This problem occurs if the following conditions are true:
• The computer uses more than 3 GB of RAM.
• The computer uses a storage system that is running the Storport miniport driver.
• The computer uses a controller that uses 32-bit direct memory access (DMA).

From what I've surmised from the internet, pretty much only nForce motherboards are seeing this error. I don't know if new nForce 7 boards are affected by this, but it seems as if nForce 6 and earlier runs into this problem.

For some people, they've been able to (rather painfully) get Vista to install and boot, and then they discover that, when KB929777 shows up in Windows Update, it won't install. It's because, apparently, it won't install unless you have about 2 GB of RAM installed and no more than that. Yet, if you boot into Vista with that little of RAM, the update won't show up, because then it thinks that you don't need it. So, to get around this convoluted sense of Microsoft logic, the only solution, so far, is to download it separately and install it while having 2 GB of RAM or less installed, and then add the rest of your RAM afterwards.

For me, I never could get it to install at all with more than 2 GB of RAM, nor could I get it to boot afterward, if I added the RAM after installing, but before applying the patch. My only option was to manually install it. Period.

all im saying is i have an nforce5 and nforce6 boxes with 3GB + in them and i install vista no problem - no where did i say i didn't believe you

all im saying is i have an nforce5 and nforce6 boxes with 3GB + in them and i install vista no problem - no where did i say i didn't believe you

No worries. I was mainly being proactive, since I had a real hell of a time in Arstechnica once when I posted about this bug. I tell you, some people are real *******s there. I prefer to post here about computers, by far. :p

So your solution to the problem of Microsoft releasing a substandard product is to give them more money?

So your solution to the problem of Microsoft releasing a substandard product is to give them more money?

It is not an ideal situation at all, and I hate it. But if I cannot slipstream, then I will seriously consider it, yes, assuming that a replacement DVD doesn't cost all that much.

The first thing I will do, however, is complain, and maybe I'll get one for free. :p

I think the sp's are all patches included, all you should need is the sp, not the previous patches

I don't know for sure
That's correct, plus a few other tweaks and fixes.

Vista 64 installed just fine for me on nforce 680i SLI and 6GB RAM....

Ofcourse.. I had to go and jinx my install didn't I. No sooner do I post a praise of Vista my ATI drivers start telling me they restarted the GPU...

The full ISO and standalone patch seem to be on Connect now.

i believe they said it would only be on there for about 30 days though, so O.E.M's and such could get hold of it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back