Vista MCE and other Un Microsoft formats

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
anyone know how to get vista mce to play mkv mp4 mov ogg ogm and such forth?

not a fan of cccp - i have ffdshow installed and all formats play fine, its just that MCE cant handle the containers, i know there are reg entries and such but i cant find the links i had, i have mkv working under x64 :)

not a fan of cccp - i have ffdshow installed and all formats play fine, its just that MCE cant handle the containers, i know there are reg entries and such but i cant find the links i had, i have mkv working under x64 :)

I don't mess with MKVs but in order to playback files in MCE if you are running x64 then the installed decoder must also be x64. Ignoring things like ffdshow and codec packs, an example would be that in order to playback XviD in Vista x64 MCE you'd need an XviD x64 codec. Having a 32-bit compiled XviD codec installation on the system would work outside of MCE but since MCE is 64-bit under Vista x64 then you couldn't play XviD files in MCE. Installing XviD x64 or ffdshow x64 would allow XviD playback but unfortunately playback using ffdshow x64 results in very stuttered and bad playback which is totally unwatchable IMHO but it does let playback actually start whereas the 32-bit ffdshow doesn't work at all under MCE. This is one of the few annoyances I have with Vista x64 but thankfully I rarely make use of MCE so I don't run into the problem very often.

It's a pain to find an official XviD x64 compiled binary, too. It's unfortunate that I don't have all the tools to compile it myself.

MCE is 64-bit under Vista x64 then you couldn't play XviD files in MCE. Installing XviD x64 or ffdshow x64 would allow XviD playback but unfortunately playback using ffdshow x64 results in very stuttered and bad playback which is totally unwatchable IMHO

dont know what system you have but latest ffdshow x64 works fine on all my systems and xvid doesnt stutter or cause me any issues and plays fine in mce

then again i wouldnt expect any stuttering on a quad core.

I have had mkvs and such playing in 64bit mce before i just cant find the link to the reg entries i need to add

dont know what system you have but latest ffdshow x64 works fine on all my systems and xvid doesnt stutter or cause me any issues and plays fine in mce

then again i wouldnt expect any stuttering on a quad core.

I have had mkvs and such playing in 64bit mce before i just cant find the link to the reg entries i need to add

I have a Q6600 with 8 GB of memory under Vista x64 with an ATI 4870. I cannot get ffdshow x64 to not stutter with XviDs. If I use the x64 compile of XviD everything is smooth. This is the only situation I've run into playback problems with anything.

Last edited:
cccp is ffdshow and a few container codecs installed and configured correctly out of the box. what's not to like?

old ffdshow, which when i used it before i had some issues which were fixed in an updated ffdshow.

I'll just google the links again, bound to find them somewhere

I have never had a problem with CCCP, however I tend to use the K-Lite codec packs. Neve ever had a problem with them and come bundled with the excellent real alternative and media player classic, there is also a X64 bit version :) Also the installer is very detailed, if you dont want something untick it :)

old ffdshow, which when i used it before i had some issues which were fixed in an updated ffdshow.

I'll just google the links again, bound to find them somewhere

Maybe I'll try an older ffdshow x64 release. I installed the compile version released today. I'll try going back and see if older versions work.

k-lite codec pack is a load of ****e, and comes packaged with things it shouldnt

Maybe I'll try an older ffdshow x64 release. I installed the compile version released today. I'll try going back and see if older versions work.

try the x64 builds from clsid - i have had no issues with them

k-lite codec pack is a load of ****e, and comes packaged with things it shouldnt

Again I have never had an issue with any of the codec packs from K-lite, I tend to use the mega codec, plus the Q-Lite alternative as quicktime is not going near my PC.

I am successfully running K-lite codek packs of WinXP, Vista X86 and Vista X64
:p

I tend to agree with carpo to an extent. Which is why I always used vista codecs. It only has the essentials. Although, I have never had a prob with K-Lite - Either way, they will both allow you to play whatever format you want in MCE, and any other media player you may chose ...

I have a Q6600 with 8 GB of memory under Vista x64 with an ATI 4870. I cannot get ffdshow x64 to not stutter with XviDs. If I use the x64 compile of XviD everything is smooth. This is the only situation I've run into playback problems with anything.

and i have the same as you and everything plays fine so your issue lies else where, if your telling me a quard core cant play an avi your system needs a swift kick up the ass.

Anyway i have it all workng fine, ffdshow x64 and a few registry entries and MCE can see the files, and it wasnt a fact about the codecs mce just didnt know how to read the container formats

and i have the same as you and everything plays fine so your issue lies else where, if your telling me a quard core cant play an avi your system needs a swift kick up the ass.

Anyway i have it all workng fine, ffdshow x64 and a few registry entries and MCE can see the files, and it wasnt a fact about the codecs mce just didnt know how to read the container formats

I haven't seen any of the registry fixes. Maybe that is part of my problem.

On a sidenote, I found something very odd with ffdshow x64. If installed and I have MCE not fullscreen it stutters and halts but audio is fine. If I go to fullscreen and have the mouse on the screen and the playback controls are viewable it plays fine. The second I stop any mouse activity and the playback controls vanish from onscreen the stuttering starts up again. It is beyond weird. With the XviD x64 codec installed this didn't happen. It's baffling to me and, yes, I always use clsid's ffdshow binaries be it the x86 or x64 ones. :)

I refuse to get into codec packs. I either install the real thing like DivX, XviD, etc, or ffdshow. No CCCP, K-Lite, etc, will ever touch my system.

Could you please point me in the direction of the registry entries involving MCE and non-native containers?

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp4]
@=""
"Content Type"="video"
"PerceivedType"="video"

both of them are strings - not dwords

keep changing that for the extensions you want, i would also suggest updating vista and ati drivers, as i feel thats where the issue may lay

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp4]
@=""
"Content Type"="video"
"PerceivedType"="video"

both of them are strings - not dwords

keep changing that for the extensions you want, i would also suggest updating vista and ati drivers, as i feel thats where the issue may lay

Thanks for the info. :)

I have everything fully updated for my hardware and Vista. I never screwed around with installing Fiji, however, since it was never truly "officially" for download.

I've been busy with work and another system upgrade so I didn't have a chance to post back again. I am running a Q9550 now. :D

I tried a bunch of different things and nothing seemed to really fix my problem with MCE x64. I resorted to using the x86 ffdshow-tryouts and the 1.2.1 XviD x64 codec. Everything is working beautifully now for my needs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back