vista and vmware/ virtual pc

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by VenomXt, Jun 13, 2006.

1. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

Anyone try this yet. I just got the latest build of vista and would love to play with it. My lap doesnt have a dvd drive so i figured i could try it out on vmware or virtual pc 2004 i have both. Has anyone tried this yet?

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

You should have no problems running it within a VM.

In case you didn't know, you can also install Vista natively (for better performance) without a DVD drive if you have enough disk space for a dual-boot setup. Just mount the ISO using Daemon Tools, and start setup from within XP.

3. VenomXt

cool thanks. I really have never liked dual boot. Had a few bad experiences with it a few years ago so i will stick with vm ware for now. I will "borrow" a dvd drive from work for the lap and set it up on that later. I have a spare 20 gig drive for it so thats my dual boot hehe.

4. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

I ran 5384.4 in VMware and it worked fine.

5. VenomXt

hmm i just stuck it on a Dell GX 280 actually using it my primary work pc to make me play with it. hehe

6. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

IMO, the 280 is the way to go. While some people won't have the option/desire to do it, I strongly recommend running OUTSIDE of a Virtual Machine. You simply won't get the bells, whistles, performance and sheer joy unless you give Vista adequate resources to work with.

7. VenomXt

i agree i also figure making it my primary work machine will give me a real hands on experience.