Vista 64 bit memory useage with 4GB Ram

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Tweakfiend, May 11, 2008.

1. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict

Having used a memory optimizer ( Win Cleaner) I can only get an absolute max recover to 65% ( averages 60% ) free memory with 4gb Ram.when at the same virtual memory useage is zero .
    I can see prefetch being part of the problem and have changed the prefetch priority between apps / boot /or both.

Previously with 32 bit Vista and 2GB of Ram I could recover 80 to 96 %
    Tweak V1 shows 96.1% free (ie 1923Mb) today on attempted memory recovery, suggesting that only 2GB is available.

Sandra and Win Cleaner Memory Optimizer both show 4gb being used .
    Seems like a possible false reading.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

you have no need to reclaim it back its doing that for a reason, if your that worried about mem usgage turn off superfetch - although its not advised

3. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

heed carpo's advice

when you release memory you are slowing your computer down, in modern computors, free memory is wasted memory

contrary to those days when memory management left much to be desired (dos), the fact is in a vm os with a good memory manager the more memory in use the faster your os is going to be

you want all your memory in use, those apps that are not being used will designate memory to "the standby list", the memory is available for other apps when they need it

4. Dark Atheist

Microsoft are copying a Unix/Linux treat and caching all available mem to make the system faster

5. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict

Thanks both.
    As you say........the more you have the more you should actively use

6. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT Builder/Installer

Yes, those memory optimizing programs are a sham. Misleading many a people...

7. Dark Atheist

well under XP i used to use the tuneup utilities mem cleaner, that did help, but if you have 4gb under XP or Vista you have ample and have no need for those sort of tools now