Virus Maybe?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Sinster, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

My friend just called me and said when he first goes into IE right after a fresh boot or reboot this shows in the address bar: http://homep% ...This address is much longer....>

He can't get any antivirus to run. He has tried Trendmicro online and it tells him there isn't anything however it couldn't scan system32.

2. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

puzzled

so the only anomalous behaviour is in IE? What is preventing the running of any AV? Can he run a hijackthis! and does it show anything up? I think more info will be needed to go anywhere wth this

3. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

It says open intranet, why don't you just change you start page to blank about:blank

4. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

Looks like possible spyware. Try running Hijackthis or Ad-aware. Spybot is also good.

5. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

I will pass the information along. The funny thing is that I installed all the above mention programs on his computer when I built it. Told him to update often and run them at least every other day. Do they listen NO!!!!! Guess who is the first person to get the phone call. Then you have to go around and around with them cause they do not have a clue about computers. Do I ever learn.. NO...

6. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Kill them all

7. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

he can't run any spyware progs. He keeps getting an error couldn't extract wise0132.dll.