Virtual Memory??

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ZipTriX, Jan 9, 2002.

1. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

Has anyone ever gotten a yellow triangle with the exclaimation point (just like I used for this post) in the system tray saying Low virtual memory?
    If so what does it mean?
    How critical is it?
    How do I fix it?

1.4 TBird
    1024 MB PC133 Ram

here's a screenshot of my pagefile settings. set to default and my system crashes after 4 days. with current settings and system crashes after 9 days.

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

It means make your page file bigger. Make the top-end around 500mb and see if that helps.

3. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Hey, wait a sec. Did you ever solve that memory leaking driver issue?

4. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

um...you have a gig of ram....just turn virtual memory off and the computer will even run faster LOL you really don't need virt mem with over 512mb of ram, all it does is give unnessecary disk writes, I got 512mb of ram and ran fine without it, when I bumped up to a gig I even turned off the paging of the windows Executive files so that it fully loads them in ram and I still normally have over 500mb free during normal use

until you edit something in phtoshop and watch it eat heh

5. H0TK4RL

H0TK4RL Guest

whoa... that's one tiny pagefile.

try 1.5 x Total RAM...

Make the MIN and MAX 1536.

-jay

6. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

have to wait til it crashes again to find the file eating the memory. so far my pc froze twice. i think it was cause my video card was overclocked WAY to high (230/530) geforce 3. lol so I turned it down and no freezing. so I'll let you know in 4 days what caused it.

So should I have a pagefile or not? I mess with graphics alot (adobe, macromedia, maya, lightwave, video editing and visual basics). I'll wait 4 days to change my pagefile size.

7. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

IMHO..I do alot of Adobe and flash and have never run across a problem...and Adobe creates it's own scratchdisk that completely skips windows...hence why when you first install adobe it will tell you the scratch disk is set to the same drive as the program and to make it more efficient put it on another drive :)

8. H0TK4RL

H0TK4RL Guest

I have read time and time again that you need a pagefile. First off, if you crash and the system does a memory dump, it needs a pagefile = to Total RAM + 3MB... Not sure about the +3..

9. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

never asked me that anyway i went to the options and changed all the scratchdisks to be on my d: drive. nothing there but mp3s

10. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

That's your problem man... it's eating your pagefile too. You might want to check your event viewer logs and see if this 'Low virtual memory' error is naming anything you can troubleshoot.

Yeah, keep a pagefile... I think the size you have (50-250) is plenty with all that Ram you have. The 1.5 x available memory... I don't think it's a huge issue when you have a GIGABYTE of ram, lol.

11. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

nothing is listed in the event viewer about low virtual memory

12. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Well, the registry tweak is in place to name the offending memory hog on the next bsod... these problems are related.

13. H0TK4RL

H0TK4RL Guest

One last thing... Take a look at your virtual memory settings. It tells you right at the bottom what it's recommended you set your pagefile to. (1534) 1.5 x Total Memory. If you are using a pagefile then that one(your current / 250) is way too small.

-jay

14. pc_tek

pc_tek Guest

this sounds like a job for AlecStaar!!!!!! TaDa!!!!!!

LOL

15. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

When my comp has crashed I still have the mem dump, it does not need a page file unless ram is full and with 1 gig of ram having that filled at time of crash probably is what caused the crash lol

16. Smokie

Smokie A Proud Australian

Yeah, where is Alexstaar? Have not seen him on in ages.

17. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

um... erm... (kiks toe in dirt and tactfully changes subject)...

So, who do you think will make it to the SuperBowl?

18. Smokie

Smokie A Proud Australian

Did I ask something I shouldn't of? :confused:

19. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

Haven't been following, but I hope my home team makes it......St Louis Rams. Homesick :(

So I should wait til I crash again to change pagefile? I mean after teh crash I can find the memory hog, and fix it.

20. existenz

existenz Guest

I like the 49ers :)

Jeff Garcia and Terrell Owens!