"View New Posts" Search Results

Discussion in 'Site Problems & Feedback' started by madmatt, Oct 1, 2002.

1. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Probably a dumb question, but I am just curious. This is probably a question only EP can answer.

How does the forum determine which threads have recent enough posts for the 'view new posts' search?

I have noticed that some posts are over five hours old, yet it still appears on the 'view new posts' search results. Is this the same for everyone, or is it just based on which threads/posts I have viewed?

Thanks.

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

It is based on when you last visited the forum, tho if you visit the forum then are timed out (no longer online) then the new posts will be from that occasion

I think

3. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Unless you "mark all posts as read". Then it starts clean.

4. madmatt

well yes, obviously xsiv. I was just curious, because sometimes the results will be less, no matter if I have viewed/read those threads/posts, so I was just wondering =)

5. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

I think they are time stamped, so after a certain amount of time has elapsed they are over-ridin by a new set of newer posts.

Are we confused yet? :D

6. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I think its based on when you time out.
    Old posts are only old if they are new between the time you left and returned. carrot.

7. MdSalih

MdSalih The Boss

yeah EP's right... it logs the time your last session ID times out... then it displays all new posts since then... the 'getnew' function has quite some heavy code behind it... the guys over at vBull pretty good coders.

MdSalih

8. madmatt

I never use the logout feature (cookies always keep me logged in). However, if you consider closing IE or leaving xp-erience.org logging out, then nothing changes.

If I leave the site with six pages of 'new posts' and return five minutes later, it still shows six pages of 'new posts'.

As dumb as this topic may be, I was just curious. =]