Video Playback

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Bman, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

I'm posting it here, cause I think it might have something to do with Vista.

I have this file Lost.S03E11.HDTV.XViD-NoTV.avi

yea yeah...

Lately nothing plays in my VLC player, it plays sound but not video.

SO I open it up in WMP, and it plays, but the sound is off from the video.

WHATS GOING ON!!!!

*edit, oh and it works fine on another computer

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  2. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

3. Bman

I don't even have Nero installed, thats not the problem, some videos work fine and some don't. And its not just bad videos, cause they work on other computers and such. It's very very weird.

4. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

Are you using an Nvidia video card? And if so what drivers? I know some of the recent releases have had video playback issues.

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I had a similar problem a couple of months ago when I installed version 0.8.6. If I remember correctly, reverting to 0.8.5 seemed to fix the problem.

I'm not sure what the cause is, but you can try removing the current version and installing 0.8.5 from here: http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/0.8.5/win32/

6. vertigo

vertigo OSNN Senior Addict

what is shown instead of video?

7. GEN3RIC

GEN3RIC Moderator Folding Team

Sometimes my video gets messed up with VLC. Its usually the video output module being used.. DirectX and GDI don't ever work. The only one that does is OpenGL output. Try messing around with the output in the settings menu...

8. Bman

Nothing is shown instead of video, a black screen.

9. vertigo

vertigo OSNN Senior Addict

my guess either bad drivers or output module is using overlay mixer

10. Lukas

Lukas Real Name No Gimmicks

I have the very same problem on (almost) all my video files, however MediaPlayer plays them ok.... VLC plays sound and shows a black screen... :(

11. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Okies... sorry for not responding earlier, apparently I did and forgot to submit.

You have to change your video output from whatever the default is to OpenGL or Direct X or GDI. Generic has already responded to this but I wanted to go ahead and post again since people seem to still have issues. This option is WITHIN VLC player.

Once this is done, you should have your video playback available.

I am using VLC player w/o issues, except the frame is no longer transparent but looks like Vista basic. Small price to pay.

If all else is fine, this is the ONLY thing that needs to be done to allow video playback.

I'll post a screen-shot when I get home so y'all can see what I am talking about and where to go. I believe, off the top of my head, you might have to click on the advanced options selection to allow you to choose the render-mode.

:cool: