video cards

mike09

OSNN Senior Addict
can someone tell me the difference between the

ATI RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB DDR AGP Graphics Card

and the

ATI Radeon 9000 PRO 128 MB AGP Card

there is a big price difference and i was wondering if the 9000 is worth the money.

yeah, the 9700pro is about TWICE as fast as the 9000pro. :p

look here.

they're both good cards... 9000pro is a good value card with hardware dx9 support. just make sure it's the pro version.

somebody should be along shortly to explain the technical differences between the two.

Originally posted by mike09
can someone tell me the difference between the

ATI RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB DDR AGP Graphics Card

and the

ATI Radeon 9000 PRO 128 MB AGP Card

there is a big price difference and i was wondering if the 9000 is worth the money.

in terms of overall performance per dollar... people say the 9000 is better BUT it is a much much weaker card than the 9700 pro

th e9700pro is HIGH end... the 9000pro is low - mid end :)

use the 2 and you will see the difference..

the 9700pro is a dx9 card and has a 8x1 architecture (8 pipelines) v/s a 4x1 setup for the 9000pro which means it will perform much slower... but at a lower price point that is fine... the 9000pro is hands down better than any other card in its price range...

if you are an occasional gamer, but not too heavy on the games then the 9000Pro 128mb/64mb is fine for you. but if you want to play with all the settings on max, and have the money, the 9700 pro is the way to go.

I made the BIG mistake of going with ATI when NVidia had the higher end cards. ATI's driver support is the worst! NVidia all the way! ATI may have a card out one moment that stands above the NVidea cards, but not for long, and not very often. It's like Sony and Microsoft. Everyone knows that the playstation 2 was awesome. Microsoft releases thier console a YEAR later and everyone swears off the playstation 2. Sorry guys. I am gonna go with a company that continues to perform year after year.

ATI's driver support is very good now. Don't listen to anyone that says that ATI's drivers are still bad. Sure they had problems in the past, but now they have committed to making their drivers good, and it has showed with their catalyst drivers. So don't let the driver issue be a deciding factor. Only look at performance vs. price.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
I made the BIG mistake of going with ATI when NVidia had the higher end cards. ATI's driver support is the worst! NVidia all the way! ATI may have a card out one moment that stands above the NVidea cards, but not for long, and not very often. It's like Sony and Microsoft. Everyone knows that the playstation 2 was awesome. Microsoft releases thier console a YEAR later and everyone swears off the playstation 2. Sorry guys. I am gonna go with a company that continues to perform year after year.

and you base your arguments on ?

everyone KNOWS that 80 odd percent of nvidia's video card sales are of low end products and products they bs'd consumers to buy such as the gf4 MX...

also please do drop by www.rage3d.com forums and www.nvnews.net forums and look @ exactly how many problems are being reported... one is an ati fan site and the other is an nvidia fan site...

your theory on superior drivers @ one place may not really stand tall :)

btw... the xbox is head and shoulders better than the ps2... the only thing it does not have is game development to the same level as the ps2... play the 2 side by side and you will see EXACTLY why people like the xbox...

is the ps2 a bad product? no but it certainly is not as good as the xbox...

[edit] just wanted to put out 2 little letters for you to work with :)

IQ

[/edit]

look at Sazars Sig, that will answer your question, Die Die Die, Blam Blam Blam.

my current video card is a gforce2 mx200 i think. but would i see a big difference between the cards if i buy the 9000pro.

you would definitely see some difference in the overall performance of games, and the quantity of features you would be able to turn up to max

I have a GeForce2 Ti at the mo

Originally posted by mike09
my current video card is a gforce2 mx200 i think. but would i see a big difference between the cards if i buy the 9000pro.
dear god, yes. ;)

the mx200 is a rather poor card, even when it came out. you would see a significant improvement if you simply switched to a gf2 gts or ti. and a 9700pro or even a 9000pro would implode your eyeballs and have goo run out of your sockets. :p

ill put it under heavy consideration for the 9000pro. seeing as how im not a heavy gamer but like to play games that look kinda real. well thanks for the replies.

I'd go for a 8500le, it's a faster card, and most likely cheaper. The 9000 Pro isn't Direct X 9 compat either....

will having 128mb insteed of 64 make a difference? cause i own half my computer and need to go through brother before making any hardware choices. and he wants a card with 128. can anyone put up any choices of cards that a good with both 64 and 128mb's between like $100-200. thanks in advance u guys are like my life saver.

128MB offers faster loading in games. Also, a lot less slow down.

Usually, if it's the same exact card, only with 128 and the other 64, the image quality won't matter, only performance in games.

but if you want to play with all the settings on max, and have the money, the 9700 pro is the way to go

I have a g4 64 meg ddr and I run perfectly smooth w/ all settings maxed in BF1942, THPS3, Madden2003, and NFS2:HP And I don't exactly have the best system for gaming either. AMD Athalon K7 750mhz, 256 meg ram

I paid $80 :)

Originally posted by Jahya
I have a g4 64 meg ddr and I run perfectly smooth w/ all settings maxed in BF1942, THPS3, Madden2003, and NFS2:HP And I don't exactly have the best system for gaming either. AMD Athalon K7 750mhz, 256 meg ram
so, you're telling me that you can play battlefield 1942 with all video setting at the max, and a resolution of at least 1024x768x32... and it doesn't get choppy at all? :huh: all i can say is, your standards must be pretty low. cuz battlefield is a very cup-dependent game and anything under 1ghz will crawl on normal maps. i have everything maxed and at 1280x1024x32 and it gets sorta slow sometimes. that's with a 1.4ghz, gf4 ti, and 768mb of memory.

more mem = more textures can be loaded into memory :)

thats as simple as it is which means with more eye candy and @ higher res the higher memory video card will perform better than a lower memory video card...

would a
Albatron GeForce4 Ti4200P Turbo
be a better buy then a 9000pro or a 8500le. in terms of price/performance comparison. thanks again guys for the great help.

that 4200p turbo is a great card. you can overclock it to ti 4600 level and faster (pretty sure). if it's the same price as an 8500 or 9000, get the gf4.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back