Video Card vs. Chipset and problems.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tin Man, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Tin Man

Tin Man Guest

Hi all:
    I am looking into a new Video Gaming Card for an Itell (i865PE) chipset MB. I am looking at getting one of the ATI cards (Sapphire), but .... My friends are playing Planetside (and got me hooked). They have had problems with the ATI cards in their NForce2 MBs and reccomend Nvida for Video.
    Does any one know of issues with NForce chipset and ATI cards?

Thanks

Stance

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i've never heard anything of the sort.

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Haven't heard of any problems with ATI cards and Nforce chipsets. Many in this forum and friends of mine outside the forum are using that configuration.

I do have one friend who's gainward (factory overclcoking) GE4-4200 would not work on any MB with 333 MHZ FSB (SIS or Nforce). He switched to ATI 9600 Pro and it works with both chipsets.

4. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Yeah, ATI video and nForce2 chipset here and it runs great...

5. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Same here. I have an nForce and two ATI cards on my board. I think you'll be safe with that combo.

6. Tin Man

Tin Man Guest

Okay, I'll dig deeper (maybe even go look at my friends boxes). I can't find anything on Nvida's or ATI's web site or any orther tech sites I visit. I did find some video issues with older chipsets and older cards, but all of those had fixes.
    Still nothing on the newer stuff though, this may have been a bogus question.