Video card reviews and opionion....

Codasmd

Old School XPeriencer
Hey all,

Looking to buy a new card for my new highend machine.

Right now I can think of any review sites so that's pretty much what I'm looking for from ya.

I'm looking to spend about $200 or a bit more if I have to. Here is the catch: I have to get it at BestBuy because I have almost that amount in store credit. Their selection seemed kind of skimpy.

Anyways, I'm thinking in the Geforce3 Ti range. I think the Geforce4 Ti's would be a bit too much money. And I want to stay away from the MX series.

What do you think?

ATI Radeon 9500 Pro

GeForce4 Ti 4200 128MB

both good cards. neither is a good deal. :huh: but that's what best buy has. just pick which ever brand (ati or nvidia) you're more partial to.

[edit] okay, i'm an nvidia guy. but in this case, i'd have to say the 9500pro is better. :(

indeed both would be a good buy. if ur looking to spend $200 then forget the 4200 go for the Radeon9500Pro performs as good as if not better than a 4600 especially in AA+AF.

my $0.02

Hmm....

The ATI card "out does" the ti4200 in polygons per second (considerably) and in clock speed of video ram, 540 MHz to 350

Plus, the ATI card has a driver disk "included". :rolleyes:

I've always had Geforce cards, maybe its time for a change.

Hmm....

Looking at the 9500 Pro and the 9000 Pro, I see this:

9500 Pro
Megapixels/Megatexels
2.2 gigatexels

Number of Polygons per Second
275 million

9000 Pro
Megapixels/Megatexels
1.1 gigatexels/sec.

Number of Polygons per Second
43 million

I realize the numbers are quite different but they mean little to me. Would this be something I would really notice playing games though?

I highly recommend the Radeon 9500 128mb (not pro)
See this..
Ati 9500 to 9700 Riva Conversion

This has been tested sucessfully. i ordered mine online today. 157.00(Free Shipping). i would think bestbuy would still be under 200.00

You can pick up a Geforce4 Ti4600 VIVO 128DDR for under £200 english pounds, so what ever that is in dollars?;) :huh:

A review of an Albatron card, can be reviewed @ www.guru3d.com

This card has gotten thumbs up on many hardware sites too.

Chensu.

Hey,

Went to BestBuy to get the Radeon 9500Pro. Turns out they dont stock that one. Only online. :confused:

After almost going with the Radeon 9000Pro, I decided at the last minute to grab the GeForce4 Ti 4200.

This has been my best purchase in the last few years. I came right home, installed it, and ran 3DMark2001 SE.
It was the first time that I got to see all the tests available, and it was very nice.

For what its worth, here are the results for this machine.

Machine:
P4 2.5 Gig
512 DDR PC2100

Results with integrated 64MB shared memory:

Results with Ti4200 and 29.42 detonators:

Results with Ti4200 and 41.09 dets:

Yea for me. My first 5 digit score. :rolleyes:

This weekend is nothing but games.
Thanks for the opinions too.

The Radeon 9000 Pro benchmarks terribly in comparison to the Ti 4200, so you made a better purchase.

Melon

the 9000 series of cards is competing with the geforceMX cards therefore the 4200 would naturally be better than the 9000 series..

I would have recommended going with either the 9500pro (even if you buy online) or with a 128mb version of the 4200... almost sure I saw em with some rebates...

still if the 4200 with 64mb mem is good enough for you... kudos :) its a nice value that card... and decent enough performance to power most games well...

I would like to say that please do not rely on 3dmark for reference as to what video card you buy.. it is not the most balanced bench in the world... better to compare everything incl framerates in games and daily productivity...

:)

Cool. I did get the 128 card. Now I'm glad I went with it rather than the 9000 series.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back