Video Card Poll

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by champ2005, Feb 18, 2004.

?
  1. Buy a top card every 2 years or so

76.0%
  2. Buy a mid-range card every year or so

24.0%
  1. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

Id rather get an average-card more often (if i could afford it, which i cant :)) because it would have the newer technologies. What do you think?

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I'd rather just get a near-top-of-the-range card and use it for around 3-4yrs before replacing it.
    I haven't seen any need to replace my GF4Ti Gfx card since I got it back in xmas 2000. There aren't any games/apps that requires more than 128mb memory, nor have I seen any games that specifically require DX9 support from the card itself.

3. Andy

Andy Meep.

for 3 years i had a 2mb graphics card, and ive recently upgraded to a 256mb card.

so i voted for the bigger jump :p

4. RagnaroK

RagnaroK Must be dreaming...

I'd buy as close to the top of the range as I can with my budget, and keep for as long as I possibly can.

5. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

I agree with this idea as it actually to a point works out to be cheaper as your not buying a new card more often so you get your money worth from it

6. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

If I had the money I'd get one every year. Since I don't it's been 4 years since I've got a newer card.

7. MargaritaIce

MargaritaIce GOD

I buy the top card as soon as it hits the shelf, which is every couple of months...but I have a severe problem....
    Radeon 8500 - GeForce 4 Ti4400 - Ti 4600 - Radeon 9700 - GeForce 5900Ultra - GeForce 5950 Ultra....yes I know its stupid but I get bored....

Boy my parents would be proud to know how the inheritence is being spent ....:)

8. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Buy a computer, it has a card in it. Wait until/if it breaks, get a new card. Repeat with either card or computer when needed. :D

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

my theory...

a top-of-the-line card won't last twice as long as a decent card, as it will only be 15-30% faster. and it will cost over twice as much. so it's better to go with the more modest card (slightly) more often.

10. mooo

mooo thecyberninja

so if i go buy a 9800xt then it won't last as long as a 9600128?
    what makes the go bad?

11. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

What Taurus means is not that the card physically will last less time (though this may well be the case with all that auto-overclocking and stuff). He means that a top of the line card will not last (performance wise) through two generations of new cards.

12. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

you got it. ;)

13. falcone

falcone WinFS Advocate :D

i tink the savings for buying an average card every year or so is greater then buying a cutting-edge card n hanging on for a couple of years... eg. a good elsa gladiac card would cost say S$600 or so compared to purchasing a decent card at say S$150-300....

(PS. sorry, i am using singapore dollar's, where the exchange rate is around US$1 to S$1.75... dunno the american prices on those ;))

14. LocKStocK

LocKStocK Smokin & Jokin

You can be like me and spend £300 on a Hercules 9800XT :)