Video Card FELL OFF THE FAN!!!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Da_Violator, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Da_Violator

Da_Violator Guest

Hey Everyone,

I recently got a Geforce 2 Ti. Everything was fine at first until the fan started making some noise. I decided to replace the fan and once I did, the fan fell off of the card!!!! :eek: :mad: :eek:

What should I do in order to get the new fan working again??? Any advice would be a help. Thanks

Violator

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

im by no means recommending this....

But this happened to a friend, we were at a lan at the time, so he managed to secure the fan back on with 2 pieces of cotton (blue cotton, just for reference) and as far as i know it worked fine, and still worked after we all went home.

3. Da_Violator

Da_Violator Guest

Thanks for the advice but I don't think I'll be trying that anytime soon. Couldn't I just use some Krazy Glue or WD-40 or something like that??

Violator

4. mbunny

mbunny Guest

You want Thermal Adhesive

That way its a glue and also works as a heat transfer.

WD40 and Krazy Glue don't conduct heat very well :/

I recommend anything by Arctic Silver

5. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Thermal Adhesive.

Crazy glue will kill stuff, and hardly conducts. And it it's warm...i'll fall off again.

Weird event though.

6. Da_Violator

Da_Violator Guest

Thanks for the advice, where can I find the Thermal Adhesive???

Violator

7. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=adhesive

Arctic Silver Adhesive-( Premium Silver Thermal Epoxy, Silver-Based ). Made with 99.8% pure micronized silver. Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity. Sold in A set of Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive consists of two tubes containing a total of 7 grams of adhesive (3.5 grams of Part A and 3.5 grams of Part B). *** MUST follow Instruction of use. *** Once Applied to CPU and Fan, THE WARRANTIES OF BLAH BLAH BLAH

It's towards the center :)

8. chris

chris Free to Fly

Haha SPeedY_B i remember that! it was on my old geforce 2. the heatsink came unstuck from the sticky pad so i tied it back on with bright blue cotton :D

it stayed on as well and worked fine until the actual card died and i had to replace it

9. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

lol Chrisuk! that was you! :D

10. chris

chris Free to Fly

Yeah, you gotta love my running maintenance :p

11. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Creative! Blue cotton sting :D

12. chris

chris Free to Fly

its looked quite niffy with bright blue ties on it if i do say so myself :D

13. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

:p

Chris have you got a website? I might have seen it on one of speedy's links before...

14. Da_Violator

Da_Violator Guest

THANKS ONCE AGAIN & 1 CORRECTION

Thanks everyone...I'm going to look into the thermal adhesive. I just noticed that in my haste to get answers, I messed up in the title...I just wanted to clear that up because I felt like kicking myself after I clicked "Submit Reply".

It should have read: Video Card Fan Fell off of the Video Card.

Thanks for not flaming me as I'm sure it would have happened on any other forum.

Violator

15. chris

chris Free to Fly

Nick, check your PMs

16. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Har, was superb.
    I cant remember where the cotton actually came from, was it random cotton, or was it obtained from somewhere?

On another note, we need another LAN at Oli's :D

17. jumpy

jumpy Guest

Hehe, the title of the thread was fairly funny.......

I recommend getting Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive over the Arctic Silver. Arctic silver says it is non conductive but arctic alumina is made with the purpose of being non conductive among other things. You dont want to short out your gpu by accidentally getting some adhesive on the pins. Alumina is cheaper also.

jumpy

18. mbunny

mbunny Guest

Alumina doesn't conduct the heat as well as silver.

Silver will not conduct electricity, they designed it for this fact. Not many pins to get with Silver when its just ur video card as well.

19. djwhite

djwhite OSNN Senior Addict

If you get Arctic Silver, look carefully at it and make sure it isn't Artic Silver.

20. jumpy

jumpy Guest