Very very wierd!!!!

M

minuteman

Yesterday my PC (running XP Pro) couldn't even get to the XP loading screen (prior to the Logon screen - with the blue moving bar). I tried safe mode, last known good config, etc.....ALL boot options and nothing worked. I'd just installed the Radium MP3 codec mentioned on the news at this site on wednesday.

As a last resort I pulled out my sound card and rebooted....which worked. I then tried putting it back in and rebooting, which worked too. I dismissed this as something weird to forget about.....but now it's done it again and I've had to take the sound card out again to reach windows!

Has anyone any idea whatsoever why this is happening? I'd just buy a new Sound card - as I intend to soon anyway - but if it's actually a windows or (god I hope not) a motherboard problem then I'd like to know.......

Thanks

PS - I have an Abit SA6R motherboard if thats any use...and a pretty old Creative SB64 soundcard.

check for the latest drivers on the sound card, and try uninstalling that codec to see if that's the bug

extra details.....

I uninstalled the codec as soon as I got back into windows the first time (incidentally it doesn't appear to work with WMP8), but I will try for the new drivers.

I'm leaning towards trying it in another PCI slot too.....will update when I do that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back