Very Low download speed !

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ZAnwar, Oct 3, 2002.

1. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

I am on ADSL ( and I have very low download speeds.

They start at about 80Kb/s and very quickly and I mean very quickly, go down to about 6Kb/s or 7Kb/s !!!

Why ?
  2. vdubVR6

vdubVR6 Guest

I have no clue why this could be, but I know how you feel I have cable access, I start up a d/l at 200-270k and then it drops down to 100-120k and levels off I would be glad to find out what the answer is.:D
  3. laptop

laptop Guest

Hi ZAnwar, I have a real slow dial up connect 26.4Kbps
    and last night I downloaded this program (no spyware)

It's called "download manager"

Before I was downloading at a super
    slow rate per minute, this download manager
    almost tripled the speed. :)

I hope this will help you, as far as technical
    information I'm far from that realm of
    expertise, why I love this forum, there
    are so many great knowledgeable people
    who help so many of us members.
  4. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

new york
    laptop...tell them about that other program you jsut tried
  5. mbunny

mbunny Guest

Zanwar: I assume your using Internet Explorer???

IE has a really crap download. Go download a good Download Manager/Accelerator and you'll be set.

I am currently using flashget

but FreshDownload is good also, they've prolly ironed out the bugs since i last used it.
  6. laptop

laptop Guest

7. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

My surfing speed is excellent, but my download speed is CRAP !!!

Why does my uncle on NTL get around 60Kb/s !
  8. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

I can't believe this, before I formatted I used to use Fresh Download, now I installed it again and the speed was varying from 2kb/s to about 12kb/s !

WHY ?????
  9. zanwar, you should contact the adsl provider, there may be a problem with the actual connection, like a bad signal/noise ratio or something. else it could be the particular download site you are using. try a variety or different site, it may be that the site you are using is very busy maybe. but i advise you get hold of fairadsl about it.
  10. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

ok thanks
  11. Smokie

Smokie A Proud Australian

Townsville, Qld, Australia
    Don't be scared to phone your ISP and complain. If I didn't do it here, I would have slow speeds all the time.

When I see that the speeds have dropped I let the ISP know and it's not long before they are fixed..

I should add that I am on cable.
  12. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

I contacted them about this around 2 weeks ago and they said that they were getting 1 more provider so the speed increases. I have seen no speed increase ?

Shall I contact them again ?
  13. Smokie

Smokie A Proud Australian

Townsville, Qld, Australia
    Keep on them ZAnwar.

You are paying for a service and if they are not supplying that service to you, keep complaining until they do.

The cable ISP I am with know who I am now and know if I phone to complain, there must be a problem or they just fix it to shut me up, which ever but at least they fix it :)

As the old saying goes, "It's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil"
  14. davmail

davmail Bike Pilot!

ADSL Speed.

Hi,ZAnwar, go to this page, run the speed test,it will tell you how to 'tweak' your adsl connection, you may have to download a program called 'DRTCP',it will allow you to make the changes,if needed,as your slow downloads could be just that the connection isnot set up right,Try it.

Go Here:
  15. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

I contacted FairADSL, and they said that they will contact BT and KB.

I don't know that KB is ??, ah well !
  16. I have seen much worse here in Switzy..... it is terrible at times with this isp i am with .....