Very Angry Person

rackshack according to his WHOIS is who rents him the servers for his site ;).

I had this happen where another company stole my URL and put there website there instead of mine. Here is what you do:

Send the perp, a cease and disist letter, as well as a letter of fraud notification to the hosting company. In the letter to the hosting company make SURE THAT you tell them that you have sent a cease and disist letter to there customer. If they don't remove the information/script ect... you can sue the **** out of them for fraud, piracy, violation of the internet act of 1994, copywrite infringment, and I am sure a few others.

OK! Thanks everyoen for their advice. I will be sending his website host an email. I have included it below, so if you nice people would be so kind as to glance it over and offer any suggestions before I send it I would be extremely grateful. I want to tread lightly here so I don't get hit with some type of lawsuit.

I saw the email address that Un4gIvEn1 got, but I want to make sure this reaches the right person.

By the way, the guy was pretty crafty. He encrypted the code to make it difficult to figure out, but I was able to see the code and it IS my code. He just stripped off the credits. I even know he is using version 4.2 (the script is now at version 4.4).

Anyway, here is the email I plan on sending:

Hello,

I am not sure if you are the right person to send this to. If not, please forward this to the appropriate individual(s)/department. Thank you.

My name is Brian Gosselin and I run a freeware javascript/DHTML website called www.scriptasylum.com. Recently, I stumbled across one of the pages you host who has stolen intellectual property from my site and is selling it for their own personal benefit. The site I am referring to is "popovergenerator.com".

The product they are selling is a new style of popup window javascript. After looking at the source code, I determined the webmaster has "encrypted" the javascript and stripped off the credits to hide evidence of the theft. My website clearly outlines the terms of use of all materials found on my site, and this act is a direct violation.

This person's website does not seem to have an email address that I can use to send a cease-and-desist letter, so I am writing directly to you. I got his website hosting company information from a "whois" query, which led me to your website.

I realize these are potentially serious allegations and I am able and willing to take legal action if necessary.

Thank you for your time and anticipated response.

Brian Gosselin
Website URL: http://scriptasylum.com
E-Mail: scriptasylum@hotmail.com

Thanks again everyone!

That looks good and reads well, I would alos include your telephone and mailing address information also. I would also include an "action requested" paragraph in there asking them to contact there customer on your behalf and/or contact you to discuss the situation. You might also check the hosting company's site for there terms of service agreement and see if this person is violating any of there term of service agreements and if so include that in the letter also. Most web hosting comapies make you pay more for a POS website than just a regular information purpose only website.

The more violations that you can show the better!

Originally posted by scriptasylum
How the heck do I copyright something? Do I just say it's copyrighted, and "poof!" it's done? I don't really want to incur any legal fees over this crap, I'd rather take the site down!

I think I need to go chill out for a while and cool down. Thanks for your responses!

If it comes from you, it automatically is copyrighted. It is good practice to put a copyright notice though. I'd think that anyone intent on ripping your code off, is going to do so whether you like it or not. If you don't have a bunch of lawyers chasing after copyright infringement, all you can do is e-mail them and hope they put credits in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back