Valve targets pirates

well in that case i better go to my neighbor's room and borrow his cd :D

I'll spill the beans... I admit... I have thought about 'using' the "not original" version of the game. :p However, there wouldn't be any point in me doing that since I'd still need a CD Key. :eek:

Just waiting til I've done my upgrade on my machine then I'll get the game from shops. When is it out, btw?

Valve has no ability to do anytihng...this is garbage...the only way they catch anybody is if someone is dumb enough to sign up a steam account and try to play a warez version. Also the article is assuming valve created a warez version. That is not what it says in the statement from valve it just says they are watching. Complete crap being assumed. Also it's ridiculous to think that anyone is going to stop crackers and pirates. Steam is already being emulated so that you can play CS source and HL2...

Also to add I bought the game and beat it about 5 minutes ago...it was amazing

i STILL havent gotten my copy of the game.
the order got stuck because the numnuts at Futureshop decided to include a Nyko Airflow mouse (which was out of stock) with every preorder.

How pissed am I!!!!
:mad:

Tuffgong4 said:
Valve has no ability to do anytihng...this is garbage...the only way they catch anybody is if someone is dumb enough to sign up a steam account and try to play a warez version. Also the article is assuming valve created a warez version. That is not what it says in the statement from valve it just says they are watching. Complete crap being assumed. Also it's ridiculous to think that anyone is going to stop crackers and pirates. Steam is already being emulated so that you can play CS source and HL2...

Also to add I bought the game and beat it about 5 minutes ago...it was amazing

I believe there are ways to track torrent downloads. A friend of mine received a threatening email from his internet ISP with an attached email from Columbia Tristar pictures, demanding his account be removed. it listed the IP, the name of the file he was grabbing, timestamps, everything.

If Valve is setting up torrent files to download, they can flag every single user getting it.

i just bought the game i dont mind the 55 it cost my at frys but i HAD to listen to a damn frys salesmen tell me how good shared memory on a laptop is.. i wanted to punch him lol and you know what i find so funy all the really nice crt monitors they have the put so close to eachother that they get magnetic disturbances on them lol .. sigh

that is different...that is a direct issue with the ISP where the ISP doesn't need the ip of the user, the person has an account and the ISP can track by the account he signed up with. Since I've joined my cable service I have had at least 4 or 5 different IPs.

With Valve this will be a problem because I can go and use my steam account whereever I deem fit because all I have to do it sign into steam. Also there are more than one user on many different ips behind routers and the like and if someone does do this and the IP gets banned that will create a person that got banned for being at a certain IP, not for doing anything illegal.

The other problem with this is that people who pirate steam based games use emulators for steam so that there is no reason to sign up for a steam account. Pirates and Crackers are far and away smarter than the companies trying to stop them.

Now if Valve did in fact create a dummy warez version and someone is stupid enough to use it they deserve to be banned. But that just creates a steam account that can't be used...the person could get a different IP sometimes as easy as reseting the modem they are using and sign up for a nother steam account. This seems really useless and I don't think it will work very well

i'd never doubt the will of a pirate.
I was only suggesting that, public bittorrent downloaders should be warned.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back