UT, Q3A and now SOF2 demo

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Jiggy, May 29, 2002.

1. Jiggy

Jiggy Guest

anyone else finding that these games crash when run under WinXP home. Mine do, they just freeze up the machine, with this static moise coming through the speakers. I have all the latest drivers and patches for the games, well except for SOF2 demo and it's not as if I'm running the software on a "slow" machine either.

Specs:
    Athalon XP 1600
    Windows XP Home
    512 MB SDRAM
    40GB 7200 RPM HDD
    Inno3D GeForce 3 Ti500 64MB GFX running on 28.32 Det Drivers
    Sound Blaster Live! Player 5.1
    10/100 Ethernet Adapter

I have this machine networked with another could that have any influence on the problem

Thanks in advance

2. TomServo

TomServo Guest

You might try a couple of things in the Bios. #1 Turn of AGP fast writes and #2 try setting your AGP speed to 2X (this is assuming your BIOS has bothof these options). I had a lot of trouble with this in XP with Nvidia cards. when using a VIA CHipset.

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I agree. If it doesn't help you might want to check out your temperatures since that computer generates a lot of heat.

4. drpain101

drpain101 Guest

I agree the temp of your PC is somthing to check. The OS should be fine you could try changing the compatabiltiy of the games to windows 2000 or 98! Useing the right click properties option and choosing compatabilty

5. drpain101

drpain101 Guest

DO NOT CHANGE YOUR BIOS AGP SETTINGS AS IT WILL SERIOUSLY HINDER YOUR FPS OUTPUT. A 4XAGP CARD LIKE THE GF3 NEEDS THE BIOS TO BE SET TOO 4X IF IT IS NOT SET TO 4X YOU ARE RESTRICTING THE AMOUT OF DATA IT CAN SEND/RECIEVE. FAST WRITE SHOULD BE ON BUT THIS IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS KEEPING THE 4X BIOS CONTROL ON.

6. huFFamOOse

huFFamOOse Guest