using RamDrive...need help

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by eminem910, Jan 19, 2003.

1. eminem910

eminem910 Guest

i made a 32 meg ram drive using tweakxp ...and i'm wondering what benefits can i get from this....it said i can move the folder for my browser cache there..but i have no idea how to do that.. any other uses for it?...progs seem to load faster on there..some how

2. Herkalees

Herkalees Guest

Do you know what a RAM drive is?

Basically reserves a spot in your RAM to store data, instead of tossing it on the HD.

As far as I know, and with todays speedy hard drives, it is probably a waste. The value of your quantity of RAM available far outweighs the increase in speed it can offer over a hard drive.

Totally not worth it in my opinion.

[Accessing stuff in RAM is so very much faster than accessing stuff stored on your hard drive, which is why "progs seem to load faster on there..some how"] Still, not worth it, unless you have a ridiculous abundance of ram, and I'm talking more then 1.5 Gb...

3. eminem910

eminem910 Guest

so is a ramdrive made up of physical memory or harddrive memory....i still want to use it....so anyone know what files i can put on it...like browser cache for IE..how can i do that..

4. Herkalees

Herkalees Guest

Its actually storing data in your physical RAM, the long flat thingy's with black squares on them.

...no, not my aunt's toes.

5. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

From Internet Explorer go to Tools> Internet Options> 'general' tab> 'Temporary Internet Files' section> 'settings' button. From there you can relocate your temp files to the ramdrive.