users, access, and NTFS permissions

mfarley

OSNN Senior Addict
OK, am going to wipe out my 80gig drive and install XP x64. I have 3 users other than myself I plan to setup and want to limit permissions and access. I'm pretty knowledgeable about users/groups/access/NTFS permissions so I'm probably ok there, I just want you advice on a partitioning setup.

Here's my setup...
  • 80gb SATA
  • 320gb SATA
  • 250gb IOMEGA External USB
-------------

I use the IOMEGA drive and it's software to do weekly backups of everything within the My Docs folder (and it's set to do that for each user). So nearly everything I save I make sure it's within that folder.
-----------------------

For a new setup I was thinking (partition sizes are an estimate right now)...
  • C: 80gb: XP (x64) NTFS format 40gig partition, SuSE 20gig partition, 3000MB swap, (20gb) (hopefull OSX install):p seriously, in case I want to test another flavor of Linux later on.
  • D: 320gb: (60gb) Acronis Secure Zone, (220gb total but will use disk quotas) partition for files etc. --I do a lot of video editing, (40gb) partition for shared music.
  • IOMEGA--keep on pumping those weekly backups.
Thoughts, opinions, offerings, all apprecitated. I don't believe Linux can write to NTFS but I'm not worried about that. The distro will mainly be just for fun so all my apps and docs will be in Windows and I'll probably just play within Linux.

Also if you see any glaring holes in security I'm missing I'd like to know. The only access to SuSE will be via a logon only the wife and I have and I'm not worried about stolen info, just spyware/adware/viruses etc.

I guess I should mention, the only reason I want to disable certian access and permissions is we're having a teen (family member) come and live with us and I just want to prevent him from installing anything. He's a good kid, just don't think he knows too much about the nasties and I don't want to have a spyware ridden HD.

I also plan on disabling access to certian programs (IE and Azureus are the biggies). Never done that but figure I don't need 3rd party I can just do it by limiting access to disable read permissions on his group for those 2 folders.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
I would put the swap on a different drive to the drive with the xp installed on. Though I couldn't say what performance benefit this has. :)

rushm001 said:
I would put the swap on a different drive to the drive with the xp installed on. Though I couldn't say what performance benefit this has. :)

Although Perris will probably rip me a new one on this, there is NO GAIN whatsoever by creating a partition for the Swap file. It is "best practice" to have it on a seperate physical disk, which obviously a partition is not :)

If you don't want to put it on your D:, perhaps pick up an 8GB clunker or smaller and toss it in the HD. It is also best, it possible, to have it on a seperate IDE channel.

/waits to get eaten alive by Perris :laugh:

kcnychief said:
Although Perris will probably rip me a new one on this, there is NO GAIN whatsoever by creating a partition for the Swap file. It is "best practice" to have it on a seperate physical disk, which obviously a partition is not :)
That's what I was kinda getting at. :)

God, I still can't get over how HOT your avatar is... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back