user corrupted : how to import user profile?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by martin14041, Jan 17, 2002.

1. martin14041

martin14041 Guest

Here is my problem. I boot with XP and suddenly, I get the message "Cannot load user profile, I might be corrupted" or something like that, so a temp profile is created and I don't have my bookmarks etc. As far as I know, my only option was to create a new user, and copy my bookmarks, my documents, quick lauch etc., which is a bitch cause you can't really copy, for example, your cookies (import/export in IE 6 won't work cause XP won't load the profile so I can export the cookies), so now I have to re-enter a BUNCH of user id/password when on the internet (some I barely remember, like for this forum for example...)

Is there a way to create a user based on another user. Maybe if I create a user and can import the setting of that corrupted user, I could get all my cookies back (and other stuff too that I won't have to worry about).

Ideas anyone?

2. jw50

jw50 OSNN Senior Addict

Have you tried using the restore option to see if that would resolve the user profile problem?

3. tastingw

tastingw Guest

re:

login as an adminstrator, make a copy of the corrupted profile and delete all the profiles that are related to it ( not the copy)

Than logout and login as the one with the problems, a new profile
    is created, restore the the things you want ( icons on your desktop, your bookmarks) from the old profile and that should work.

As jw 50 said, you can use the restore option, but make a copy of your old proflie, maybe the restore is older than your recent bookmarks

Grz

4. martin14041

martin14041 Guest

Restore button doesn't work, I tried. Also tried to copy the user directly in document and setting (copy the folder of the user), it is copying the corrupted files. I tried with the control panel;system;advance tab, where you can copy a user on another user, but it won't do it cause it is corrupted. So I created a new user, copied the bookmarks and personal folder etc, couldn't bring the cookies to the new user. So be it.

thx u all

5. martin14041

martin14041 Guest

***I solved my profile problem. If you go in document and setting/YOUR USER HERE/ and you right click on any of the files, you will get the option to share this file (it is only a tab in the properties of the file), you can move that file to the all user/shared document, so you will no longer have to worry about the situation where your user profile get corrupted, like what happened to me.