USB2.0 External hard drive

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DJC, Nov 19, 2003.

1. DJC

DJC Guest

I have a P4 2.4GHz laptop with 512MB memory, 40GB internal HD, a 120GB firewire external HD and a 6.4GB external USB2.0 HD. The latter is in an IBM Cooldisk HD box. The OS is XP Home.

The firewire HD is always recognised by the computer but I have a great deal of trouble getting the USB2.0 HD recognised using both USB2.0 and USB1.0. I have to plug/unplug the drive 10 or 15 times before it is recognised. At bootup it is always NOT recognised.

Is there any way to force the computer to recognise this drive?

2. RogerPhillis

RogerPhillis Guest

You need to be using SP1 for the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Controller (USB 2) which will be seen in USB entries in Device Manager

3. DJC

DJC Guest

One very major point I omitted. My mobo only has USB1 so I use a PCMCIA to USB2 card for the device.

I could plug the drive into the firewire port which is on the mobo.

4. adek

adek Very xp-erianced

I always use a powered hub for my iomega HDD 120gb and is reconised on every boot

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

for external storage/drives, firewire's better than usb2.0 anyway. especially usb2.0 on a pcmcia card.

6. DJC

DJC Guest

Thanks taurus.

I can imagine that Firewire on the mobo is better than USB2 via PCMCIA but why is Firewire better in general.

I chose USB2 via PCMCIA because my Firewire port in on the front of my laptop and this makes the wiring untidy and inconvenient.

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

it's been shown that, for a large file transfer for example, firewire (400mbps) provides better overall speed than usb2.0 (480mbps). it's because the usb standard has more of an overhead for the data being transferred since usb is more universal (ie. Universal Serial Bus) and firewire's more designed merely for fast data transfer. also, firewire uses less cpu time than usb2.0.

8. DJC

DJC Guest

Thanks taurus - I will revert to Firewire