usb power question

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by Perris Calderon, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

so I have a usb gps with a linux operating system, I have no idea which linux but I'll research to see if I can find out

anyway, it's powered from the cigarette lighter and I am wondering if the same power cord can be used with my pocket pc since that's usb charged also

does the os recognize voltage and adjust?

are the voltages common because of common processors?

thanx for the info in advance

2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Usb standard dictates 5V voltage, voltage limits, power quality and maximum draw of 5W.

The pocket PC should not try and draw more than 5W so it should work. Skim thorugh the manual for the pocket PC and see if it says anything different.

The cigarette lighter plug adapter should specify it has a 5V, 5W output on the case. If it doesn't it may put out a higher voltage that could damage the pocket PC.

The GPS and Pocket PC manuals should specify what is expected on the power interfaces.

When all else fails. Can you plug either device into your dektop and recharge it? If yes, they both will work off of the USB standard.

Standards are great, unfortunately not everybody follows them...

Personally I would get a meter and measure the output from the USB charger with it plugged in if you can. Those pins are not real accessible. I fit reads under 6V with no load on it then you should be safe.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  3. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

thanx leejand, that answers the question perfectly, yes, both get charged from laptop

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i thought it was 500mA, so 2.5W..?

edit: