USB Power Problems / Blue Screen Crashes

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dj_karl, Oct 6, 2003.

1. dj_karl

dj_karl Guest

I've been noticing some strange issues on my machine. When I bootup and log in to windows if it is a boot up from cold, there is no power to any USB devices. I have two USB ports on my machine, one has a alcatel speedtouch usb modem attached to it, the other has a 5 port USB hub, which is powered via it's own power supply. If I reboot the machine, it will load fine and now I will have power to the usb devices.

However a couple of times the power has been lost to the devices and windows has blue screened on me, giving me a 'stop error, with possible hardware problem', is the USB problem likely to be causing this? I've been running the machine without the USB hub plugged in and the problem seems to go away? I'm confused as to why a self powered USB Hub could course this?

any advice anyone?

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

the speedtouch modem had a bad name for overloading USB devices, im afraid your USB ports cant take the load. you can try the modem through the hub to see if that works and update the drivers here http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/support.htm

the best advice for those modems is an internal USB 2 card, there very cheep and will stop that problem with onboard USB :)

hope this helps.

3. dj_karl

dj_karl Guest

i'm still a bit concerned about the blue screens, would the above be the likely cause of these?

thanks for you help with this

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

if ur using the modem drivers off the cd then yes, the cd drivers under rev 1.4 cause BSOD