USB Network Adapter Desired

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kcnychief, Mar 2, 2006.

1. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Anyone have recommendations for a USB Network Card? I had one of these, but it died today when I used too much force on it and it snapped :(

http://www.provantage.com/linksys-usb100m~7LNKS157.htm

I'd like something more durable, it was a bit cheap anyways. Who's got one?

2. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

What's it for? Laptop? Desktop? Cause PCI 10/100 NICs run cheap at like $10. If it's a laptop I'd opt for a PCMCIA one.

3. kcnychief

I want a USB, so I can easily use it for a both a desktop and a laptop.

4. Admiral Michael

A quick search on newegg yeiled that most are around $20-24 unless you want some unknown make. But tven that the price is like $16-20

5. kcnychief

Not overly concerned with the price, just looknig for something sturdy/reliable

6. Admiral Michael

Maybe a dongle-type NIC?

7. kcnychief

8. Admiral Michael

I saw that one but it looks fairly large. I'm not a fan of DLINK either.

9. kcnychief

It does look large. But, if you look at this one it's just too dang flimsy.

[​IMG]

That little thing that sticks up is what I broke earlier today, rendering it useless. I wouldn't really be carrying it around, so the size isn't an issue. Basically the reason why I want one is because I don't want to have to update my BartPE CD each time I get a new computer in. By this I mean when I get a desktop/laptop from a client, I was previously adding the drivers to the build and then re-compiling, which gets to be a bit tedious.

If I get an external adapter, I can just add those drivers and be done with it :)

10. Admiral Michael

Ah I see your setup, for clients computers then? The DLINK shouldn't be too bad then.

Using a USB port on your KVM by any chance?

11. kcnychief

Yup to clients.

No, adapter jacks into computers directly, don't want to stress out the KVM cabling as it already has the mouse/keyboard signal through a single USB channel.

I may get this one instead, as I do like black hardware, and Belkin:

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?zipCode=01001&jspStoreDir=Staples&catalogId=10051&errorUrl=zipcode&krypto=mfxq1nTSMWh0shUQOLdqejr6zGQ2Y8NL&cm_mmc=Shopping.com-_-Shopping-_-ProductFeed-_-listing&ts=1141279426306&langId=-1&partNumber=482084&storeId=10001&ddkey=StaplesZipCodeAdd

Also, I have a Staples Gift Card, which is nice, as well as a Rewards Card :)

12. Admiral Michael

Looks better then the DLINK too :p

Shouldn't the KVM be able to handle the USB ports? Its not like there's any processing involved inside the KVM. Unless the manual says otherwise. Isn't that the point of the USB as well, to share devices?

13. kcnychief

The KVM switch only has 2 USB inputs, and those are both in use (keyboard/mouse), so it doesn't really apply anyways.

Not too sure how BartPE would react to network over usb/kvm/usb either :p

14. Admiral Michael

As far as I know it should'nt kno the KVM there, it should think its a direct connection.

If you had a wireless keyboard/mouse you could combine those 2 USB into 1 for both Keyboard/Mouse. :)

15. kcnychief

No wifi desktop for me, heard bad things about how they interact with KVM.

EDIT: By that I mean mostly lag. The way I have now, both USB wired, the transition is fecking instant and I love it. If I were wifi, I would probably have a few seconds of lag, which is unacceptable :cool:

16. Admiral Michael

I've had a wifi keyboard on a KVM before (PS/2). It's a fiarly new wifi combo too and the only problem I had was the "extra buttons", the software didn't always want to see them.

Also you don't need the software for the keyboard to work, it just acts like a standard keyboard and even XP has a few defaults for the "extra buttons."

17. kcnychief

That will not suffice, I demand 100% functionality at all times :smoker:

18. Admiral Michael

Well also remember that I have an older KVM so it may have some issues. Im sure with the USB you woundn't have any problems. The extra buttons wont work on the client's computer, just your own unless you want to install and configure the app on the clients computer as well.