USB Modem question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by omega2, May 18, 2003.

1. omega2

omega2 Guest

Does anyone know if a USB modem still uses a com port? I know it uses a USB connection to be plugged in, but for the fax program I use, it only goes by com port numbers, and doesn't use the Windows TAPI. So, which brings to my question, does a USB modem also gets assigned a com port, so that software that do not use the TAPI can still use the modem? The USB modem I was thinking of getting is the USR 56k v92 USB modem (model 5633A).
  2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Yes they normally have a simulated COM port, often COM3. You can check in your modem drivers which port it gets. Just point your fax drivers to the same port. Hopefully it will work.
  3. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

L'Ile Perrot Quebec
    If I may give my opinion I dont like usb modems ...I think your better off with the nic card and a good dsl modem

just my opinion :)
  4. omega2

omega2 Guest

Yeah, I know high speed is better, but I need it for faxing, and I don't really want to use those Internet faxing service, as they cost money everytime you send a fax out. Also, i never know when the modem may come in handy, say for example, my high speed is down temporary, and the ISP offers a modem backup for dialup.