USB Modem question

O

omega2

Does anyone know if a USB modem still uses a com port? I know it uses a USB connection to be plugged in, but for the fax program I use, it only goes by com port numbers, and doesn't use the Windows TAPI. So, which brings to my question, does a USB modem also gets assigned a com port, so that software that do not use the TAPI can still use the modem? The USB modem I was thinking of getting is the USR 56k v92 USB modem (model 5633A).

Yes they normally have a simulated COM port, often COM3. You can check in your modem drivers which port it gets. Just point your fax drivers to the same port. Hopefully it will work.

If I may give my opinion I dont like usb modems ...I think your better off with the nic card and a good dsl modem

just my opinion :)

Yeah, I know high speed is better, but I need it for faxing, and I don't really want to use those Internet faxing service, as they cost money everytime you send a fax out. Also, i never know when the modem may come in handy, say for example, my high speed is down temporary, and the ISP offers a modem backup for dialup.

Originally posted by Kermit
If I may give my opinion I dont like usb modems ...I think your better off with the nic card and a good dsl modem

just my opinion :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back